And year after year, Abby watches him-- and sweetly waits and wonders when a little of her own beam will find it's way back to her.
"Mom," she said meekly, hesitantly, as we drove together in the quiet of the afternoon, "I'm worried that I will never be able to get an award at school... I just don't think I count-- maybe it's because I only go half-day..."
I could feel her little spirit struggling to understand, spilling out in words from a well deep within. And I heard her heart the way I hear my own- wondering sometimes if heaven notices just how hard I'm trying.
But what Abby doesn't yet know is this: her light is not like a ray of sunshine-- it's more like the sun itself. Diligently and quietly performing her many roles- helpfully, cheerfully, patiently, so that everyone else around her can shine. It can take awhile to recognize a ball of fire behind all of those blinding rays, but it is there- steady and sure and true. This is Abby. So full of warmth and light at her core, that it can't help but burst out through a head of flaming golden hair!
"Mom!!!" She cried out "They said my name on the announcements today- to the whole school!!" "They said I am one of Ms. Smith's best students because I always complete all of my work well and turn it in on time!! "Oh, Mom- I got an award!"
And in her moment of gladness, some of that beaming sun burned inside me--
on it's way back to her.


6 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to Abby. I think she will enjoy reading it over the years. Kind of like a Matriarchal blessing.
this makes my heart melt. i think we all have a little bit of Abby in us. AND on a sidenote I just realized that two of our children have the same names.
Also, I would LOVE to stop in and see you when your family comes to Carlsbad. I know reunions are precious, so maybe while you're at the beach.
A mother's love truly shines through in this post. =)
Love this! You always have a great way with words. I got a little teary feeling Abby's excitement at getting her award.
Interesting, Sally- I didn't really think of it that way. =)
Jennie- I don't know if you'll read this, but I would love to see you too! I'll check back as it gets closer.
Thanks Kristie and Karen!
What a wonderful post...I just read it again!
Post a Comment