And an even duller Mommy.
I have lock-jaw. It's been nearly two weeks now- two weeks of not being able to bite down, not being able to chew without a lot of pain. It's a great way to feel miserable. Unless you just finished reading The Hiding Place like I did. I'll take TMJ over Ravensbruck any day, thank you very much.
I've had lock-jaw twice before: When I got engaged (the first time... ) And during that year after the twins were born.
What does that tell me?? Hmm.....
All I know is that while I bulldozed around the house today trying to catch up on the usual business in an unusual state, the following played in my mind like a broken record:
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....All work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy!...."
And then, what d'ya know, Craig flew in from out of town and starts rattling on about an article he read on the plane. Just guess the title of the article:
THE ART AND SCIENCE OF
PLAY!
"I think you need this." He said, with a big grin on his face.
Oh boy, oh boy do I need it.
Listen to this-- from the article:
"Dr. Stuart Brown...conducted a study on murderers [and] discovered that 'the absence of play in their childhood was as important as any other single factor' that distinguished the murderers from normal people."Hurrh?
It also says this:
"Our bodies know it. Our brains know it. Now science has proven it: Adults and kids both need stupid pointless fun."
Stupid.
That's not exactly what I had in mind.
But Hey! Whatever it takes!
Got any ides for some STUPID pointless fun??
=)

7 comments:
Oh Trisha, I have had that before and it is MISERABLE! Here's hoping you feel better soon....
So true! I was just thinking this morning that I should "lighten up" a bit and not stress over everything so much! Even The Proclamation talks about bonding through recreational activities. It's those fun, even "stupid" little things that the kids will remember.
I need a copy of that article. Right now I am struggling with my daughter'0s elementary school. Down here in this terrible state, they focus so much on a test that the teachers are so busy they are not able to take the school children out to recess. The school also has principles making side comments that recess is "a waste of educational time!" As of right now my 1st grade daughter is at school form 8:15am to 3:15pm with a 20 min lunch! I am furious and have talked to the teacher, but their hands are tied!!! I hate the school but I love the teachers and I love that she is learning so much spanish. I am stuck with what to do because since school has started my daughter has had big behavior problems. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions!
ps sorry about your locked jaw. I had a chiropractor in, I think, s
South Jordan, or Murry who did wonders with my jaw! Dr. Brandon Carter. An excellent chiropractor and an amazing person.
Tiny E says, "That article is HUGE!"
Um...I don't know anything about being stupid or pointless. You'd better ask Karen about that.
You had lock jaw while caring for infant twins!??! I'm cringing just thinking about it. Get well soon slookie!
What?? Everything I know about being stupid and pointless I learned by watching Sally when we were roommates. =)
I am so sorry you're dealing with lock jaw! I've never had it, but it doesn't sound good at all.
I think there's a lot to be said for simply putting aside the daily grind and doing something fun. Ignoring the laundry for another day and surprising the kids with an ice cream run. I feel like I enjoy those moments so much more when I make a conscious decision to put aside something that "needs" be done in favor of making a small memory instead.
We're going strawberry picking this afternoon. I'm pulling the kids out of school a little early...it's supposed to be sunny and 80 degrees...we're all so excited.
Lest I give you the wrong impression, though - I totally struggle with having enough fun. I'm a goal-oriented organizer who likes things nicely planned out. Jason has teased me in the past for being un-spontaneous. =) I'm definitely still a major work in progress, but at least this afternoon, I'll get it right. =)
All you had to do was say "Slookie." By golly, I know all about STUPID POINTLESS!
I want to come strawberry picking!!! We MISS that horribly right now. Miri was just asking me yesterday when we were going to go again...
I'm so sorry about your daughter's school, Sally's sister (Eileen?) We had the same problem in Virginia. Tests were EVERYTHING. When I found out they had ONE recess a day and that often they were held in for varous reasons, I was fuming. Since I was already deliberating homeschool, I didn't approach anyone about it. I just tried to make up for it when they got home. I was fierce about allowing them a good hour or two of unstructured play right after school- lots of running around outside and in the woods. So I guess I see those three options:
1. Fight for it with the school board.
2. Make up for it at home.
3. Homeschool.
Good luck. I feel for you and your daughter.
Tricia....I had lockjaw in Highschool. Not fun at all. I needed to read this post. I have felt so behind in all my compounding work after having baby that I have forgotten how and when to play. Thanks for the good reminder. :)
Post a Comment