.

.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May Day

Oh Sweet May! I love this month! I took the kids out for a walk this morning and it was intoxicating. The smells of a hundred different flowers, fresh-cut grass, clean air. Oh....heaven. It always takes me back to the spring of 1992. I was 20 years old and working as a tour guide on Wheeler Farm. It's a turn-of-the-century working farm, so I dressed up in a Victorian farm dress every day. When I wasn't giving a tour, I took long walks in that dress around the fields and was transported back a hundred years to a slower, quieter time. I imagined myself then, and I dreamed about my own future waiting in the wings. The smells of those fields that spring were all intertwined with my hopes and dreams. The grass....the flowers....the trees...(the cows :) ) Right now, we live in a community with a lot of natural green space and wildflowers. That must make a difference, because all I have to do is walk out my front door and I'm drowning in floral bliss and filled with all the wonder of that 20 year old girl in me. We walked for a while this morning in May Reverie when what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a kid on a skateboard with the words "BLOOD SUCKING TOY MACHINE" plastered across his T-shirt.

I'm guessing the flowers were lost on him.

No comments: