It's true. I sang in my High School Concert Choir and then in the Vocal Ensemble (Show Choir) my Senior Year. But it wasn't geeky to be in choir- or maybe I'm just delusional. The truth is- I didn't want to join the chior. I really fought it. My two older sisters sang in the choir, my parents are life long singers and sang in the Tabernacle Choir for a long time. I felt like it was expected that I would follow suit. For that reason, I resisted. I'm all about free agency, see. I'm sure I was a fierce defender in heaven and no less stubborn about it here. LET ME CHOOSE! Don't force me to do anything whether or not it's for my own good. No one was forcing me, but I felt the pressure of silent expectations and I bucked them....until I gave in. What a monumental decision that turned out to be.
Not that joining the choir is monumental for everyone- ours just happened to be directed by one genius of a man, Mr. Bentley (now "Dr. Bentley") The night before last, Mr. Bentley directed his last Pops Concert. He's retiring this year, so his wife organized a surprise Vocal Ensemble alumni choir to perform for him at the end of the show. What a memorable experience. As some 300 of us, from over 20 years, stood on the stage singing "For Good" from Wicked, I was reminded of what I have known and appreciated for the past 20 years- of what a profound influence this man has had in my life. The principles and ethics I practiced because of, and through, and for this man have resonated through everything worthwhile that I've done since. Dedication, Commitment, Loyalty, Respect, Unity, Punctuality (okay, I'm still working on that one), Sacrifice, Endurance, Vision, Diligence, and above all, HARD WORK. Principles that my parents taught me at home, but which were fine tuned and applied in the fiery furnace of choral affliction!
And so I say Thank You to Mr. Bentley, who helped shape not only my character, but that of thousands of other students over the past 20 years.
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment