.

.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Mental Exercises

I'm sitting here at the computer two days before the movers come because I can get absolutely nothing done while the twins are awake. I spent the last hour sitting on the living room floor while they each took turns in my arms for kisses and hugs, with intermittent shrieking spats over who got Mommy all to herself. If I stand up, they are clinging to my legs within seconds. But...if I sit here at the computer, they are somehow, strangely content! So, here I am, reading, writing, and looking around my house, visually accomplishing everything I need to get done in the next 30 hours; mentally going over every detail of what still needs to be sifted, sorted, gathered, piled; wondering how in the world I'm going to finish the remaining 10 loads of laundry and linens sitting here like this, and with a dryer that takes 4 hours for each load because the lint is clogged at the very end of the vent- on the tippy-top of our roof...

But the mental exercises! Surely I'm accomplishing something! I mean, isn't that how great athletes train?! They close their eyes and visualize every detail of their performance first, before they go out and do it physically, right?! So, I'm just sitting here preparing, planning, visualizing- all in my mind, until that moment, those moments, those rare snippets of time when I suddenly find my hands free, my legs free, my babies happy. And instead of standing there dumbfounded, awe-struck and in a total brain freeze as to what to do first in that elusive pocket of time, I'll be OFF! Like a race-horse when the shot is fired! And I'll be......oh.....uh......uh-oh. babies screaming, phone ringing, husband swearing... gotta go.

2 comments:

lori said...

So i cant even look at the moving truck and your empty garage when i drive by. It sucks. But i am happy for you! I hope you are having fun with your family before you go. I guess this is how i will be in touch!

davenportreport said...

Did you make it? How was the plane ride? How's the house? Post pictures, o.k.? I already miss you and I didn't even see you that often:(