.

.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Singing Strawberries


Is your mouth watering yet??

I've been counting down the days 'til we could go pick strawberries right out of the fields.

One trip was not enough, I tell you. Can you imagine standing in the middle of a gigantic field of ripe red strawberries ...


and having to stop after a mere three baskets full??

Me neither.

We went first with friends to a farm in Williamsburg (the little girls and I),


and then again as a family near Fredericksburg:


And oh my,......

TASTY. JUICY. SWEEEEEEET!


Strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry ice cream, strawberry jam...


.... and strawberries all by their plump little selves!


Did I mention strawberry jam? My first-ever attempt was a success. I'm so proud of myself! I was a rebel and cut out half the sugar, used Sucanat, skipped most of the pectin, and boiled my jars upside-down, but YUM! Jam on rolls, jam on toast, jam, jam, jam.

And more strawberries...


There's something so fulfilling about picking my own food straight from the earth. And eating or preparing the food I have just picked is simply joyful! Really. I'm all for having a garden for the sake of self-sufficiency, family work, clean food and the satisfaction that comes from nourishing living things, but there's another dimension to it. There's a total appreciation for the miracle of the food itself that you just don't get from loading up a shopping cart at the supermarket. Walking into the produce section of Whole Foods, or strolling a farmer's market still takes my breath away, but taking a bite out of food straight from the Earth-- when the flavors sing-- is an experience of sheer abundance.

I just bet that's how it was meant to be from the very beginning.

And besides. If you've never walked among strawberries, how would you ever know about these sweet little blossoms?:


8 comments:

Karen said...

Oh yum! We're going soon ourselves, and it's one of our favorite things to do in the spring. I must say, though, your kids look awfully clean! Mine usually come home red and sticky. =)

Kristie said...

Those look so yummy! I love the pictures of the kids too! What fun!

Stacey B. said...

Amen.
(Excuse me while I wipe away the drool from my mouth...)
Ok. Ready.
I think we have to wait until June to pick strawberries here and I am sooooo ready. Can't wait.
Growing and picking and eating your own food is heavenly and makes me feel quite happy. It makes me feel like I can accomplish ANYTHING. Seriously. Is that weird? Maybe, but it's true.
I've said it once and I'll say it again...
I miss you because you.are.AWESOME.

Ashley said...

We went too to Williamsburg and 3 baskets have not been enough. I attempted jam too and it's quite tasty. We are just finishing off the ones I left out to eat plain and I'm so sad.

There is something refreshing about eating food that you picked yourself. It's fabulous.

Michael n' Brooke Sanderson said...

Jealous! One of the biggest things we are going to miss when we move from the Midwest is the berry and fruit picking!

KarenB said...

I remember going to Fredericksburg to pick blueberries. It's such a beautiful place and a beautiful drive. I hope my strawberries grow this year! Your pictures are awesome.

davenportreport said...

The strawberries look amazing. I loooove your photos.

But mostly I just wanted to say thanks for the birthday message and the book! Without even knowing what's going on in my world, you were truly inspired to know what I needed right now. Now that's what I call a friend. And I miss you, girl.

Let's talk soon. As soon as I can talk without getting all booby. It's been a doozy of a week.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Sarah said...

I'm glad you got to go again. How did you like the second farm? I'm curious if it's better. And did you seriously make all those strawberry delectables? You put me to shame. ;) I did just post a strawberry tart I made. Fabulous!