.

.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Grandpa's Alter Egos

Creighton's Mom and Dad came for a visit recently. The twins aren't old enough to remember them from a year ago, so for them, it was like meeting for the first time. Grandma received instant smiles and loves from the girls, but when Grandpa walked in, with his grand presence of person and voice, they clung to my legs and peered at him shyly. After a few minutes, Grandpa made his way to another room, but as he was walking out, Kate suddenly gasped, pointed at Grandpa and yelled:

"JESUS!"

From that moment on, Grandpa was their welcome friend.


It took several days to convince them that he was actually "Plimpa," and not Jesus. I don't think Grandpa minded.

Creighton's dad is a career actor, and for 40 years has performed a one man show about Patrick Henry. One of the highlights of the summer was going with him to visit Patrick Henry's estate, just south of us, and then to hear him give a portion of the "Liberty Or Death" speech at St. John's Church right here in Richmond.




What a moment. This is just following his performance to our family and a small crowd of visitors and staff:


Being in that church, where so many great men gathered and were inspired to change the course of our nation, I was more impressed than ever with the events which took place there, and all around this city. Richmond is dripping with history-- and we're taking it all in. It's inspiring and thought-provoking and humbling to be here and have all that history come alive. And to connect- a little bit- with the minds and hearts of men like Washington, Jefferson, Madison-- and Patrick Henry.







Later in the week, we spent an evening wandering around the Virginia State Capitol, which was designed by Thomas Jefferson:













Thanks Glamma! And Plimpa/Jesus/Mr. Henry!


5 comments:

Karen said...

I think that's cute she thought he was Jesus! Now I'll be watching for a future post about how she shares that in Primary down the road. =)

Kristie said...

Very cute! And super pictures, as always. You have such a great eye!

Darla said...

I told Geof. that Creighton's dad had done the Patrick Henry speech. He (and I too, I promise) that that was really cool. What fun to have them come visit. We did a tour of Richmond's capital and loved it. We feel very lucky to be living here and experiencing all this history.

Sally said...

We've been lucky to spend a lot of time with Grandparents this summer. We miss them already.

Sarah said...

You have acting in the family line huh? :) Pretty awesome. And your girls knew exactly who Jesus was in nursery today. ;)