"My what?!" I said.
He then relayed to me a little story about "Victory Gardens:"
During World War II, as a result of food rationing and labor and transportation shortages, the U.S. government encouraged citizens to plant "Victory Gardens" in order to provide their own fruits and vegetables.
As a result, about 20 million Americans planted gardens in backyards, empty lots and city rooftops. Neighbors pooled their resources, planted different kinds of foods and formed cooperatives, all in the name of patriotism.
"Everyone had one," my neighbor said, "you could drive down the street and see them peeking out from behind the house..."
Victory Gardens died off after the war ended, but apparently, a grass-roots campaign for these "urban" gardens has sprung up again. Who knew I was part of a movement?
I just wanted a garden.
When we moved here last year, I was really disappointed to realize that on our entire 1 acre lot, there wasn't any good spot for a garden. We live in a forest. Even after chopping down about a dozen giant trees this spring, I still couldn't see any area where sunlight hit for longer than a couple of hours. So, I resigned myself to planting a few blueberry bushes in a very small sunny spot.
Then one afternoon, standing on our patio, I had a revelation: there is one good sized flower bed on our patio that gets sun all day long! Why hadn't I noticed that before?! There may as well have been a shaft of light streaming down from heaven- it was that kind of a glorious moment for me!
VICTORY!






















8 comments:
When I brought in the first red tomato from my garden this year, I did a little happy dance. Only now do I realize it was also a VICTORY dance! =)
So glad you found your spot to garden. Mine is small, too, but it's enough to make me happy. =)
I'm proud of you and jealous at the same time. I forced us to do some version of a garden when we were living in apartments, all because "the prophet said to plant a garden, so that's what [we'll] do" right?? I vowed when I lived in a house I would do a "real" garden. Moving here that was a big part of my plan. Then making plans to be gone for 5 strait weeks of the summer kind of got in the way of that dream. Now I'm frantically wondering if I can still squeeze in a fall garden start to finish...So, way to go! It looks beautiful!
I hopped over here from the HHS Reunion site because I saw that you had twins too! Fun! My boy/girl twins are 10 now. I assume that getting back home for our 20th this weekend is unlikely. You've got a darling family and I love your 'Victory Garden'!
I love my garden as well. However ours is in big rubbermaid tubs on the driveway, since that was the only place sun came. I love my basil and peppers that we have been getting.
Are you picking much yet?
Lovely pictures!
I love pictures of families gardening together. My victories so far this year have been a truckload of kohlrabi, one fabulous cabbage, cucumbers, peas and basil. The nappa cabbage had a good looking month and then it all rotted away. And the long beans are climbing their fence but showing no signs of beans. The eggplant didn't poke out their heads at all.
Wow, Trish! Good for you. My garden didn't produce one single thing this summer. Maybe because I was gone for a month and a half? Who knows? There's leaves, but no produce. ): I need some pointers from you.
Ok, so you have a green thumb too huh? :) I saw strawberries in your garden and I thought those took a couple of years before you got fruit. Seriously...way to go on the produce and the garden!
Post a Comment