.

.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Season's Best - Mt. Vernon


Anyone who lives in the South will tell you that the best time to do summer...is in the spring.  Summer is too darn HOT and WET! We figured that out pretty quickly and made sure we did it right this year.  The highlight was a week in April spent with both of my sisters and their families.  The next few posts are my picks for the best of the season.

Bike Ride to Mount Vernon

I did this ride years ago with friends and always wanted to do it again.  It was so great to be able to repeat it with family- all fifteen children and six adults of us!  We rented bikes in Old Town Alexandria...






and rode 20 beautiful miles round trip to Mount Vernon, home of George Washington. 











Abby took the prize for Trooper of the Day.  This is not the easiest ride, but she held her own without a single whimper, the entire 20 miles!



Creighton towed the twins in a trailer...





and I had Miri with me on a sort of tandem...




 Wow.   Huff and puff.  I started feeling reaaaaallly old, and had to keep reminding myself I was towing 70 extra pounds up all those hills!  So so worth it, though.

Mt. Vernon.




View from the back-- Virginia in all it's pastoral glory



View from the front-- over the Potomac River. 




Taking it all in on the porch...



Somehow, I missed a picture of the Tolmans, but here are the rest:

The Baros Family




and us!


 


Definitely one of the season's best.

3 comments:

Karen said...

You are the woman!! That's quite the biking adventure all by itself, let alone with your 5 young kids. You're amazing!

Kristie said...

What a fun adventure! I love the pictures. Mount Vernon has always been close to my heart because that is the name of the street I grew up on in CA. Will you be homeschooling in UT? Just curious...

Darla said...

Geof. and I did that ride. In the fall! You're right, the best time to see the east coast (or the south, for that matter) is Spring of Fall. We LOVED it! I can't imagine doing it with kids, though! Fun?! Yes, I think so.. :)