.

.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Homeschool: Project Time

After Study Hall, we have lunch, followed by a designated reading time.  We often use this time taking turns reading to the twins, but otherwise, reading time really ends up being at various times of the day or evening.  Every so often, either I, or the girls call a "Read-a-Thon" and we pop some popcorn and read together for an hour or two in the afternoon.

Then comes Project Time.  We used to call it "Free Time," but I realized that Abby, especially, needed a little more direction in the title.  So, from about 1-3:30, the girls have time to work on anything they'd like to make or do or learn or read or create. 

Abby is taking a couple of online art and music classes during two afternoons, so she either uses the extra time to work on her art projects or she plays the piano, writes, or spends time baking in the kitchen- her new found love.  Abby belongs to a RAK (Random Acts of Kindness) club with some of her friends- they meet once a month to do really creative and fun service projects.  She also begins volunteering at a school for the handicapped next week with Luke, which will take up a little more of her time in the afternoons.  Both of these activities just make me happy for her (and the kids she gets to be with.)

Miriam either plays with the twins in the afternoon (I want her to play her heart out before she turns 8), or spends time working on projects with me.  I have pictures of a few things we've done together...We've completed a 750 piece puzzle- just she and I (phew!),




sewed a dress for her American Girl,





(Miri was so proud of the details she put on)







 and we've done numerous simple science experiments together in the kitchen, among other things. 







 
 
Miri also likes to help me bake whenever Abby hasn't already filled our quota for baked goods.

The days when Miriam is happily engrossed with the twins during Project Time are the days that I stumble upon the time I need to get everything else done that mothers do. Every once in awhile, that also means a few minutes to pick up a book that's calling out to me, or to work on a post like this.  Just when I start feeling like I don't have the time to get everything done, or I desperately need a little alone time to think, the stars will align and a chunk of time will suddenly open up for me.  It always seems to work out. 

Thursday is my errand day- after lunch.  Abby babysits the younger girls for me while I'm gone (hooray for children old enough to tend!!!)  Friday is quiz day.  After Morning Devotional, we quiz math, poetry and spelling and then do some word games.  For some of that, we use these:



 


After lunch on Friday, the school week is over and the girls can play with friends or cousins.

What I love most about our shedule is that we're done with EVERYTHING by 3:30 in the afternoon, and earlier if you don't count project time (which is some of the best learning of all!.) That means no homework, no projects and no school related events to take up our time in the evening.  Other than our daily family work and a couple of outside lessons after dinner, we're completely free and relaxed in the afternoons and evenings.  There is plenty of time for the kids to play in the afternoon and time to spend talking, reading, playing or watching a family show together in the evening (We got the Little House on the Prairie Series for Christmas!)  I would say it's just a reversal of the schedule when they're in school (relaxed days, stressed afternoons and evenings) but that wouldn't be true.  Our school days are not at all stressful.  The girls and I are able to move at our own pace, which removes the kind of tension and pressure that homework can add.  It is exactly what we all need at this stage of our lives.   And we are really, truly are enjoying every bit of it!

 

No comments: