Kate and Caroline turned 2 last week! They hardly seem 2, but at the same time, the past two years have definitely NOT flown by. What an adventure. What a wild and crazy ride we're on. We had a fun time celebrating their birthday, with balloons and bubbles and and presents and cake, and lots of siblings to keep things hopping.
Kate is our cute little spitfire girl. She came equipped with a pout that says it all when she's mad and a smile that will light up anyone's face when life is grand. She is very observant and quick to learn, with a whisper of a voice that melts us. Kate is shy and careful, wary and leery, and usually attached to my leg, arm or hip, or sprawled across my chest with her head buried in my neck. She's our Mama's Girl, with endless love and a soft heart underneath her drama.
Kate is our cute little spitfire girl. She came equipped with a pout that says it all when she's mad and a smile that will light up anyone's face when life is grand. She is very observant and quick to learn, with a whisper of a voice that melts us. Kate is shy and careful, wary and leery, and usually attached to my leg, arm or hip, or sprawled across my chest with her head buried in my neck. She's our Mama's Girl, with endless love and a soft heart underneath her drama.
As a birthday tribute, I will say that these little girls have turned my life upside down, inside out and every which way but the way it was- with no sign of slowing now that they're two. From the minute they could walk, they've been on a systematic path of destruction that just keeps progressing. These little hooligans never stop! They have spilled, sprayed, strewn, smeared, scattered, shattered and splattered nearly every household substance known to man in every room of the house in grand proportions. Just when I think I've seen it all, they come up with something new. And it all happens in a matter of seconds! I'm convinced that no amount of planning or prevention efforts on my part would change any of it. Unless we lived in a box, or I had six arms. They've outsmarted so many of my tried and true tricks. Because they are two. And I am one. And they take full advantage of that! Suffice it to say, my life has been reduced to a perpetual state of Disaster Cleanup of late.
But there's a sweet side of things too. Kate and Caroline are the cuddliest, snuggliest babies I've ever had. They smother me with hugs and kisses and love at every opportunity. A few weeks ago, I was in desperate need of a pity party. Creighton was traveling, I was exhausted. Somehow I managed to escape the chaos for a moment and flung myself on my bed to cry it all out. I prayed for help. I needed an angel. Within minutes, I heard the pitter patter of feet, and in came Kate and Caroline. They climbed up on my bed on either side of me. The minute she saw me crying, Kate burst into tears, and through her tears began repeating "Hi.....Hi.....Hi.....Hi...." over and over again. I realized she had never seen me cry and this was her desperate attempt to find her happy Mommy. Caroline sat on the other side of me with a box of Kleenex and was handing them to me one by one with a delightful smile on her face.
How could I be sad after that?? God had heard my prayer and sent me two little angels just in time.
Happy Birthday my sweet little girls!
But there's a sweet side of things too. Kate and Caroline are the cuddliest, snuggliest babies I've ever had. They smother me with hugs and kisses and love at every opportunity. A few weeks ago, I was in desperate need of a pity party. Creighton was traveling, I was exhausted. Somehow I managed to escape the chaos for a moment and flung myself on my bed to cry it all out. I prayed for help. I needed an angel. Within minutes, I heard the pitter patter of feet, and in came Kate and Caroline. They climbed up on my bed on either side of me. The minute she saw me crying, Kate burst into tears, and through her tears began repeating "Hi.....Hi.....Hi.....Hi...." over and over again. I realized she had never seen me cry and this was her desperate attempt to find her happy Mommy. Caroline sat on the other side of me with a box of Kleenex and was handing them to me one by one with a delightful smile on her face.
How could I be sad after that?? God had heard my prayer and sent me two little angels just in time.
Happy Birthday my sweet little girls!


7 comments:
Happy Birthday girls!! Wow, it's been 2 years?? You are such a good mom and I can only imagine how much these girls are teaching you! :) Miss you guys!
Happy birthday! I'm glad you have your angel moments in between the disasters. Don't you just laugh now when people tell you they always wanted twins?
So you're planning on another one soon? :) I just have to say, I HATE those Styrofoam things that they rake their fingers through and it comes off in tiny balls that fly everywhere and can't be cleaned because of static electricity. Hey, if you want to cry about kids call me. I find when I cry it's because I want sooo much to enjoy them, but they just won't let me!
I have total admiration for you, Trish. Five kids isn't easy to begin with, but five kids that include a set of toddler twins is a monumental feat of motherhood! I feel tired just READING the description of the things your twins have gotten into. =)
I cried when you talked about the girls comforting you in your moment of discouragement. That's really sweet. I wish I were a better friend to be able to bring relief in such moments. I'm not good at knowing when and how. I wish somehow that you could feel like you could turn to me if I can ever be of help. You are so amazing to me that you can do twins. I'm sure you are not exaggerating the intensity of the disaster clean-up, but you've always come across so put-together and calm whenever I've seen you. You must be doing something right, or else you are really good at faking. I'm going with the former! Congratulations to YOU that the're two, and happy and healthy and alive!
Loved that tribute! I can't imagine the chaos and craziness you must experience on a daily basis. You are inspiring.
And I've missed you. Thanks for not neglecting your blog (and me) any longer.
xoxo
Tricia!! I found your blogs, and I'm QUITE impressed with your talent in writing and photography. Seriously! Wow. What great pics. And those twins?! Happy birthday to them! Sweet post, Mama. (;
Post a Comment