My goal was simply to have a plan. With a purpose.
Not a Survival Plan. Not a To Do List.
A Teaching Plan!
I'm certain every other mother in the world has a plan like this, but I have to call it "homeschool" in order to make sure it happens consistently!! See- you're far better than I am. I already know that.
The appeal of homeschool to me is not a reaction to the public school system. I've always intended on sending my kids to public school. I may or may not agree with everything about the system, but my experience so far has not been a negative one. Maybe it's because I've never expected public schools to teach my children everything they should know. If I did, then I would probably be very disappointed. Instead, I feel that a good portion of the responsibility for my children's education right now falls upon me, as their mother, whether or not they actually attend school. My challenge is to figure out what I need to teach them, and how, and when. So, the real problem for me is this:
There is simply NOT enough time in the day to teach them what I feel they need to know.
From me.
Like any mother, I take the responsibility to teach and train my children very seriously. Unlike most mothers, I can't figure out how to do it all in just a few short hours a day! I feel like most of that time I'm just directing traffic! How is it that mothers have been reduced to being Traffic Cops??
There are moments interspersed in all the busy-ness where teaching comes in, I'm just not sure it's enough right now. I feel like I'm staring a huge opportunity right in the face with my role as their mother.
What to do, what to do...
Homeschool?
Maybe. Obviously I sent them to school, again, this year. Even sent little Miri off to Kindergarten (she just glows with joy and triumph getting on and off that bus.) They're all very happy with it. I'm the one who feels pointless.
Our summer was filled with all of the usual favorites: vacations, cousins, etc. What differed was our routine on "normal" days. In the past, summer was about keeping my kids entertained. This summer, I tried to turn our quieter days into something more. So we had a schedule... It wasn't a detailed schedule, but it gave us all a clear vision and expectation for the rhythm of our regular days. Included in the daily schedule were personal chores, family work projects, scripture studies & value lessons, meals (prep and clean up), and free time (which might involve reading, skill-building classes (taught by yours truly), time spent outdoors, grocery shopping, swimming, field trips, or playing with friends.)
I really enjoyed *trying* to play this out every day. I wasn't perfect at it, but after two years of days dictated by the twins, I was easily pleased by what did work. Mostly, I wanted to make sure we were doing everything together- as much as possible. Working, playing, reading, cooking, cleaning. I tried to turn everything we need to do at home into an opportunity to teach them something of value. In order to do that, I really had to prepare myself mentally-- I had to train my mind to want to involve at least one, if not all of my children in every single thing I do for our home and family, whenever possible- and to have a higher purpose for it.
The interesting thing about all of this is how much I enjoyed it. And I think the kids did, too. I feel like I stumbled upon some grand secret about the joy in motherhood. Which is why I feel so point-less this week. They aren't here. I no longer need to have that kind of purpose and plan for what I do during the day. I feel the lack. I miss the peace and order and spirit it brought to our home. I miss the feeling of fulfillment at the end of the day.
Of course the twins still need me- they keep me hopping, and they sure love "helping" me around the house now. ;) I enjoy toddlers so much more now than I did the first time around. And Kate and Caroline are just so darn cute! But, I do feel like I've gone backwards this week. My wheels keep turning, but they can't touch ground...
See- I told you this was not your neighbor's homeschool. Academics have a time and place. I am not concerned with changing or adding to what they are presently learning in school, except where I sense true interest and motivation. Right now, I'm more interested in helping my children build Christlike character; in teaching them values that will serve them well through life, and hopefully lay a solid foundation for a true education. This was just an initiation to it all- Summer Style.
I may or may not ever homeschool all of my children full time. I'm taking things a day at a time in that arena. What my pre-occupation with homeschooling has done for me is help me define a specific vision for my family, identify my purpose as a mother in teaching my children, and create a working, day to day plan towards that vision and purpose. I needed that.
I will always need that.

One of our Kitchen Classes on measurements (with friends.)



5 comments:
Oh Tricia, I don't know whether to feel inspired or guilty by your post. This summer for us was so the OPPOSITE of any teaching/routine/quietness. I know it was the circumstances, but it just about killed me to send the kids to school because I felt so guilty. But at the same time I was so excited to send them because at least we could have some sort of semblance of a routine and order. I agree, though. There is not enough TIME! Especially once school starts. So I've got 9 months to get my act together and figure out how to make up for it next summer. Am I allowed to do that?
Love your outlook on things. I have no desire to homeschool, but I appreciate that you do. Maybe you should recommend some of your books to me. Maybe I'll change my mind.
Are you coming in November? Seriously...tell Creighton he's going to be in major league trouble if he bails on you this time! You need a purpose right now - so I'm telling you what that is. To get on a plane and come see us! You can start the preparations now. We NEED to see you!
xoxo
You say this so beautifully. This is so much like my story. I also was happy with the school my children attended. They had great teachers - I just wanted more time! I don't know why the school day has to be so long. I also decided to try things out for a summer - though I wasn't as wise as you were - I did try to fit a lot of academics in and fell pretty short of my goal. I figured I'd eventually get the hang of it though :-)
It was easier to pull them out for me than it sounds like it would be for you, though, because my kids had no objections to staying home. They liked school okay, but staying home from school sounded pretty awesome to to them - so I had lots of support from them when I decided to keep them home. It would have been really hard if they really wanted to be in school.
It has been a very enriching journey so far - I had no idea.
I love reading your story. Your kids are beautiful!
Any class that ends with cookies is a class worth teaching (and attending for that matter!) Looks like the kids had alot of fun this summer!
Was it difficult to get your kids to do this? My 3 younger kids love doing stuff together. My two older ones are at the point where they don't want their time dictated by me anymore.
Sally- I doubt you'll see this comment, but in response: No, it wasn't difficult at all to do this. My kids were cheerful about everything all summer! I'm not kidding- but this is precisely why I feel such an urgency to do these things NOW. Luke is 9 now and I bet within a year or two, his attitude will change. I just want to get them while they're all so malleable and eager to please Mom. I know that doesn't last forever.
Post a Comment