Sandwiched in between two trips, we got to celebrate her birthday week with Grandma and Grandpa Hammond. Then, my sister and her family came down from PA for her baptism (after throwing a party for Abby up there while we were in Mexico!) Of course spending time with cousins tops the charts for my kids, so they've really had a banner month.
We've been able to spend most holidays this year with Carolyn's family, who are in Pennsylvania for only a year while Derek attends the Army War College. I don't have many pictures of us all together-- because, well, we're busy doing things together! I did manage to snap just one pic of some of them this time- lounging with Grandpa for a few minutes after the baptism:

Abby has been waiting anxiously to be baptized. It was a beautiful day in every way, and so, so good to have family to share it with. We all went out to a great new frozen yogurt place in Carytown afterwards- Abby's choice. Grandma and Grandma brought a new hymnal, and did all the leg work to bring scriptures from Mom and Dad. She's elated to have her very own set just like Luke.


When Abby was just tiny, Creighton started calling her Li'l Abner, after the famous comic strip character. It stuck. She has other nicknames too: Abby-Lou, Ab, Miss Abigail. I decided to finally look up the history of Li'l Abner since I was never familiar with the comic strip. I was interested to read this description of his character:
"This simple-minded citizen of humble Dogpatch was a paragon of virtue in a dark and cynical world."
I like that. Because so is our Li'l Abby in her own sweet and simple way. She's reached the age where I know that if I blink, she's going to be all grown up and gone, so I've got my eyes wide open. I want to freeze this time of life- to capture her childlike innocence and sweetness and never let it go. And at the same time, I'm excited for the years to come- for discovering even more of who she is, and who she will become.

Happy Birthday Miss Abigail!

4 comments:
Love that last picture - what a sweet little girl!
Don't say that about blinking. I can't stand to think how quickly my kids will be vanished into the world of adults.
Happy birthday to Abby!
What a sweet girl! Beautiful and virtuous.
Yeah Abby! Happy Birthday. She is so big. I have pictures of her and Alli dressed up in clothes that only Claire can fit into now. So much has changed.
She is precious! (and you look fantastic, just so you know. You do not look like you've had 5 kids!) Love you guys!
Post a Comment