.

.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sun, Sea and Sand

Creighton and I are pretty laid back when it comes to vacations. We occasionally talk about trips to exotic places, but we've put them off since having children- content with more local getaways. But when Creighton was awarded a trip to Cancun recently, of course we weren't going to pass it up! We drove up to Pennsylvania to drop the kids off with my sister and flew out from there. I wasn't quite prepared for the all-expenses paid, all-inclusive resort experience.

Wow!

We stayed at the shmanciest resort I've ever been to (definitely not one we would've selected on our own...$$$), and from the moment we arrived, we were pampered. No pictures of the pampering, but here's the resort:








Of course, everything was free- meaning all the food and drinks (restaurants, room service, bars- and a few extra pounds). So the first thing we did after a little room service of fajitas was sip a virgin pina colada and strawberry daiquiri by the pool... while the rest of the guests were getting, um.. liquored.

Drunken water aerobics, anyone??


Creighton pretended to be me for a few minutes- on the balcony with a book:



For some reason, our room made me feel like I was in India. Notice the unkempt bed. I had to consciously force myself not to make it everyday- mostly because I wanted the little chocolates on the pillows from the maid!


I've been to Tijuana once, but never knew if I'd make it to the 'real' Mexico, so now that I was there, I wasn't about to pass up an excursion to the Mayan ruins at Tulum. Creighton had to be enticed, but I think he was just as fascinated once we got there:




And oh the water! It really is those amazing shades of turquoise:






Jungle Craig on the walk down from the ruins:



And a bunch of these little friends:



Uh, some sort of mating ritual??


Honestly, in the middle of all the preparation, travel, recovery and general upheaval involved for this trip (arranging for our children, too), I had to question if it was really all worth it. But already, when I think back on being with my best friend in moments like this:


And this:


I have to say that I really would do it all again.

Someday.



11 comments:

Michael n' Brooke Sanderson said...

WOW! Jealous

Sally said...

That looks like a vacation that would be worth it even if you had to pay for it. But the fact that you didn't, all the better! I love the picture of you guys in the white t-shirts, you look like newleyweds!

Karen said...

Thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not covet... =) Seriously, I think my hubby is in the wrong line of work. I have another friend who just blogged about an exotic trip that her husband got thru work, too!

Looks like an amazing getaway!!!

J9 said...

I am so incredibly jealous it is not even funny! Chris' company used to give trips like this but then decided to give $500 bonuses....NOT a good trade-off! I am so glad that you got to go and that the weather was gorgeous for you. You totally deserved the time away. :) And hooray for your sister for taking the kids. That was a lifesaver! How do you ever repay that?!!

davenportreport said...

Tricia, you deserve it!!! It looks amazing and I hope you were pampered the whole time.

xoxo

Darla said...

I'm so glad you got to go, Tricia! What a wonderful (yet not long enough, right?) trip!! We love, LOVE MExico! It's cheaper than Hawaii and the water's better. Great pics, btw.

jennie said...

Looks wonderful. Do it again SOON!

Stacey B. said...

All expenses paid sounds like the perfect way to travel...:)

Kristie said...

How wonderful that you got the opportunity to have a little 2nd honeymoon in such a beautiful place. I'm really glad that you left the resort and visited some historical sites. Those are the REAL Mexico. Kudos to your sister for taking the kiddos!

Cath said...

Absolutely worth it! So happy you got away - just the two of you. And I'm envying your wispy India room. And that blue water. And the sunshine.

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for my frantic email. I hope you were alright with the post that went up.

Sarah said...

Umm, simply lovely!! I had no idea you guys were even going on vacation. It looked simply fabulous!