.

.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Big Kids in the Big Apple

Before my sister and her family moved back to Utah a few weeks ago, we took them up on an offer to watch the littlest ones so we could take Luke and Abby to the Big City.  We thought it would be interesting for them to see what New York City is all about.  It was a fun trip filled with plenty of sidewalks, subways, ferries and the like.  Once again, I wasn't the best at photo documentation, but do have some pictures of the highlights:

Top of the Rockefeller Building (since silly Trump has made the Empire State Building so cost-prohibitive.  Shame on him.):





 

 


 Abby at The Plaza... 







Luke in Lego wonderland (Rockefeller Center)






No trip to New York City would be complete without a boat ride out to the Statue of LIberty and Ellis Island. It never fails to bring me to tears thinking of the millions who passed through for freedom's sake. 








 Ellis Island




We made it down to Ground Zero on the hottest, muggiest afternoon of the week.  Even in the sweltering heat, it was a humbling visit.  There is a small museum across the street where we escaped to cool off.  It housed fascinating 3-D images and models of the future structures and memorial. It will be beautiful when it's all completed.



The new tower underway:



Afterwards, we took the train to Chinatown and escaped the heat in a chilled and fabulous Chinese restaurant.  Nothin' like the real thing.






I have to mention the dreamy cannoli I scarfed down in Little Italy just before dinner.  Oh my...heavenly.


In my several visits to New York over the years, one thing I've never done is take a carriage ride around Central Park.  We opted out of a Broadway Play and traded it for the horse and buggy instead.  This topped the charts for me- from our Irish driver,



to the people on the greens,





to the lakes and bridges and towers,






 it was peaceful and beautiful.  An oasis of green in a desert of concrete and steel.





 Our driver was a fabulous guide and pointed out so many sights and attractions we had never known about before.  For the grand finale of our excursion, he let Luke and Abby feed the horse.





We capped off our Big Apple tour with a visit to the LDS temple Uptown.  We were able to bring Luke and Abby into the lobby and visited with the missionary at the recommend desk, who gave us a fascinating history of the temple property and construction.  Afterwards, one of the security guards offered to give us a tour of the chapel.  It's huge!  I'm still completely amazed at what they have done with one street corner in the city.  What a blessing for the LDS members in New York City.   

Once upon a time, many moons ago, Craig and I mused about spending a couple of adventurous years in Manhatten.  Now, these many moons later, we both agreed that the Big Big City was no longer for us.....until we entered this temple.  Somehow, that peaceful haven would make living there "a bit of alright."  As my dear old dad would say. =)

5 comments:

Karen said...

Oh what a fun trip!! I love all of your adventures! New York is still on my list of places I want to visit someday.

Kristie said...

Great chronicling of your trip! I love the pictures. I hadn't heard about the changes at the Empire State Building. Is it just ridiculously expensive to visit now?

Tricia said...

Kristie- basically if you buy in advance and want to avoid standing in a line for up to two hours, Rockefeller Center is half the price. Empire State Building charges double for an express pass. I actually enjoyed being able to see the Empire State Building from where we were rather than be in it looking out!

Sarah said...

What a fun trip for your kids. I would have to say I enjoyed Top of the Rock better too just so you could get a good view of the Empire State Building. So fun!

Sally said...

Luke and Abbey will have such great memories of that trip. You guys have had quite the fun summer!