Okay. November 30th today. Time to wrap up Fall Snippets.
Two words: Duct tape.
Duct tape wallets, cases, covers, frames, flowers, hearts, ornaments, bows... We've got duct tape coming out our ears over here. Luke's pretty sure he's going to make millions as a duct tape product engineer. He's already got a contract to make 2 wallets and 2 flowers for my sister's piano students. He's on his way, for sure (wink). And Abby's trailing close behind:
Luke entered the annual PTA Reflections contest this year with the photos below. The theme was "The magic of a moment," which I think he nailed-- on accident.
Here's the story: I was doing my thing in the kitchen one afternoon and noticed Luke in a corner with some sort of electronic gadget reserved for weekends. I suggested he put it away and go use his brain to think of something to do outdoors. A few minutes later, he asked if he could borrow my camera and ran out into the backyard. Later, he proudly showed me his collection of photos like the two above, which resulted from "using his brain" (he implied.)
Next thing we know, he's one of three out of over a hundred entries in the Visual Arts category who has been chosen to move on to the next level.
Pretty neat, eh? I do believe the magic of a moment is found when potential, opportunity, and deliberate action collide. Just like this little story. You bet I'll be making the most of this analogy with my kids.
Abby decided she was going to give "Thankful Cards" this year to all the people she loves for Thanksgiving. What a great idea! I must say it's never even occurred to me to do that...
First big snowstorm this year (it got bigger.) I love it when everyone tumbles out of bed into the snow before they've even had breakfast. The giddiness is palpable.
Miri came running up to me on the porch, overjoyed, yelling: "Mom! Guess what! If you ever run out of food, you can eat snow!!!"
Mm-hmm. All I could think of is the time I was little and grandma poured syrup and food coloring on the snow for all of us, and someone threw up. That was the end of snow eating for me.
Processing Halloween pumpkins.
It took me many years to realize that this is a foreign concept for most people. It's just something my mom always did, so I do it too. I don't think my mom has purchased a can of pumpkin in her life. She's always got a stockpile of Halloween pumpkin in her freezer. When it comes to pumpkin pie, nothing beats fresh pumpkin. Really.
It took me many years to realize that this is a foreign concept for most people. It's just something my mom always did, so I do it too. I don't think my mom has purchased a can of pumpkin in her life. She's always got a stockpile of Halloween pumpkin in her freezer. When it comes to pumpkin pie, nothing beats fresh pumpkin. Really.
Fact: I make the ugliest pies. I refuse to use shortening, and I'm too impatient to chill the butter after chopping it into bits. These are my excuses.
They start out looking pretty okay....
But then.... mediocrity:
I tried out a new pie for Thanksgiving this year: cherry sour cream.
Also contributed by me: banana cream, peach raspberry crumble, and of course, fresh pumpkin.
Hideous. But mmm...delicious.
Our Thankful tree. We actually had a whole wall to use this year and big fat leaves with enough room to get right down to the nitty gritty with gratitude.
(Look! Squirrels, too!)
For posterity's sake, here are some close-ups:
"Chick-fa-la" (hee hee.)
Okay, first of all, how does Luke not know how to spell "where?"
Second of all-- Really? He'd be nowhere??
NOWHERE?!
Yikes.
Me, too.

3 comments:
I don't know which part of this post was my favorite--the snow eating, the Thankful cards and tree, or Luke using his brain and capturing those amazing photographs! It's a 4-way tie!
I'm still laughing about the pop-rock music. =)
I laughed out loud when I first saw that one, too. (And rolled my eyes...)
Post a Comment