.

.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Halloween Hoo Ha

The snow is falling gently outside, blanketing the earth.  So beautiful.  The kids have been gleefully caught up in first snow frenzy all day.  We've had friends and cousins over for sledding and hot cocoa and indoor games... and I suddenly find myself with a few minutes to blog!  Let's see how much I can get in:

Sick and tired of Halloween posts?  Sorry.  Here's mine.


 We connected with cousins for pumpkin carving this year- most of whom are not in this photo because I snoozed when it came to taking pictures:



Abby was ready to join the big league carvers this year with a template.  she did a great job!:



Ten little pumpkins, all in a row...



Here's the gang.  Except for Luke, who took off with friends before I could round everyone up:


"Miri-da", Ariel, Merida's mother (according to Caroline), and a doll.  Abby's doll dress was so cute under that sweater, darn it.  Mine was the comfiest halloween costume on the planet. (I look like such a mom.)

Here's a close up of that flaming wig:




 A big fuschia smooch for Farmer Ted:






The best part ever- sorting candy for trades.


I have to point out that this is Miri's stash after the great Candy Bribe.  That's right-- I gave money for candy this year.  I did not want the never ending sugar high (and low) and inevitable cold or flu down the road, so I offered the big bucks to preserve the peace in our home.  No pressure, no coercion.  Just a gentle nudge.

Here's the heap I ended up with, freely given in exchange for cash.  Mwa-ha-ha!!!



Luke gave up all but 10 pieces of candy, categorized here:


Of course these little girls wanted no part of the trade-off.  Which was fine with me considering they were done trick-or-treating after one trip around the block.



I like Halloween, always have. But it's taken me a long time to pinpoint why.  It's fun to dress up, and of course the candy was fabulous as a kid, but there's more.  I wrote a post a couple of years ago on the subject, but I'm going to say it again:


I love that it brings people together.   Period.


We have moved a lot over the years. Getting to know our neighbors is an ongoing effort- one that we repeat over and over and over again in every new city, every new home. Whether you move a lot or not, it seems to be increasingly difficult to get to know neighbors the busier we all become and the more technology rules our social lives. But I want to know my neighbors! I really, really do! I have a basic need to live in a community of people who look out for eachother. This can't happen if we don't know eachother; if our relationships consist of an occasional nod and wave from the driveway, or through the car window.

We have found it fairly easy to meet and get to know our immediate neighbors each time we move, but more difficult to extend acquaintances and friendships around the block. -- Until Halloween arrives.-- Think about it: Halloween is the one holiday when most people are not only willing, but happy to open their doors to complete strangers-- and give them a treat, no less! What an opportunity! A grand grand opportunity to move from stranger to acquaintance, from acquaintance to friend. When I approach our trick-or-treat tour with that intention, I succeed in expanding our pool of friendship, in building- just a bit more- that community I hope for. It works every time.

These days, this is the reason I get a thrill every time dusk sets in, pumpkins are lit, porch lights turn on, neighbors spill out onto sidewalks with chatter and laughter-- because for one night a year, guards are down, awkwardness gone and some hearts swing open with just a knock on the door.


1 comment:

Kristie said...

How fun! I love Halloween, so I never get tired of people's pictures and blog posts. All of the costumes are adorable and the pumpkins too! I'm glad you had such a fun holiday with the kids.