.

.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Going Home: My Kind of Disneyland

We pedaled down the lane, flanked by twisted vines and sun colored blossoms until we reached the main buildings of the Raymond Vineyards.  This is what greeted us:

 



So of course, we took off our helmets and stayed awhile!





A few steps further, and we were halted by this large sign:




Raymond is not just a vineyard, but a complete, synchronised, bio-dynamic farm based on sustainable farming methods and organic practices. 

Disneyland!!!!!
 
 


 

 

I realize this is completely unreadable.  Darn.


Let me tell you a little story.  Once upon a time, I used to dream of living on a small farm.  This was a very long time ago, shortly after high school, I believe.  One summer during college, I worked as a tour guide at Wheeler Farm, a historic working farm here in Salt Lake City.  I think that fueled my dream in part- that, and an obsession with Anne of Green Gables in earlier years.  Whatever the inspiration, when I thought of the future, I imagined myself living in a farmhouse with a white picket fence, an acre or two of gardens, a small bunch of animals, and lots and lots of daisies. 

But something happened after college.  That dream got buried under more practical aspirations.  I guess you could say I was exploring other sides of myself, and working on more immediate needs and goals.  And so, for more than a decade, that part of me slept. 

Then suddenly, five years ago, it woke up.  It's almost humorous to me how abruptly it all came back, flooding my vision.  The only thing I can trace it too was the decision I made to live my life on purpose again.  The twins were newborn.  I was learning to love being at home with a houseful of children, and somehow, my small farm dream resurfaced at the same time.  I longed for a little place apart where we could raise our family, work and play outdoors together, learn how to be self sustaining, and live peacefully.  Idyllic, I  know.  I've always been conscious of the fact that dreams like this can be far too romantic, but it still persists.

I've been taking baby steps towards this vision over the past few years, and along the way I've become fascinated with the beauty of bio-dynamic farming- the interrelationships of the soil, the plants and the animals as a single ecosystem (and entirely without the need for chemicals.)  It is a system that treats each of it's parts with respect and looks ahead to the long term ramifications of each process.  The results tend towards life and health for everyone involved, including the farmer.  In my opinion, this is farming the way it ought to be; the way God intends it to be.  And when I see truth in action like this, it makes me absolutely giddy!
 

So of course we stayed and played. 

There were vegetable gardens in rich dark soil...
 





 
 
 
 
 



Herb gardens (growing all my favorites, including these two)...
 
 





Chickens to keep the slugs and bugs at bay, provide incomparable eggs, and in our case, compost!

 

 
 



 
 
 
 
(I think our own chickens have a pretty nice set up, but this was like the poultry Hilton.  Lucky birds!)
 

 
 
 
 
 
(Yes, this is still all for the chickens...)

 
 
Bees, wonderful bees- to keep everything pollinated and to bless us with honey...
(our own bees are arriving this week!!)
 

 
 
 
an owl box to trim down the rodent population...
 
 
 
 
A few sheep for wool... 





And of course, Bessie the cow, to keep the soil trimmed and fertilized, and to pass along one of natures finest gifts:

 BUTTER. 
 
 
(And milk and cheese and ice cream and kefir, and all that other yummy stuff that comes from truly fresh, clean milk.) 

Have I mentioned that I want a cow someday?  I really don't know how that's ever going to happen, but a girl can dream...


 
 
Because some dreams really do come true. 
And at least now I know exactly what mine looks like...

 
 




 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh how I haveissed reading your blog! And how fitting to have this be my first post back after a crazy busy hiatus. Now you have all my farm wheels turning and yearning as well. Oh how I wish...