.

.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Going Home: Sunnyvale and Pacifica

 

Hum-dee-dum...  I suppose I ought to finish up posting about our little trip back home.

After our super duper day in San Francisco, we zoomed on down to Sunnyvale, a small-ish city just north of San Jose, where Creighton and I lived just after we were married.  It was Sunday, so we dropped in on our old ward for church.  When we walked in, I immediately had flashes of all those newlywed Sundays perpetually arriving 10 minutes late for church and slipping into the back bench. (And we had no children!!!)

Ah, lazy days...

Ah, memories...

 
 
Later, we made our way over to our first apartment (up there on the top, left:)
 


 
 
We never did get any good pictures of the outside of this apartment when we lived there, so you get to enjoy them with us now.
 

 
 
Those were such happy days for us, in a honeymoon-ish sort of way.  Perpetually sunny days in Sunnyvale...
 
 

We went for one of our Sunday walks around that first neighborhood of ours, tracing 13 year old steps on a well-worn path, and more memories came flooding back-- feeling memories of perfect peace and contentment.  Sunnyvale was a gift of rest for two weary souls at the end of a long, long journey to eachother. (Exhale.)


A friend of mine gave us a guide to hiking in the Bay Area for a wedding gift, and boy oh boy did we wear that book out back then.  If we were in town on the weekend, we were hiking; every week a different trail in the coastal range.  When we weren't on a trail, we were either in the city or at the beach.  So we retraced a few of those paths this time, too, through the mountains (er..hills)...





along the coast...

 
and to the beach, again. 

 

 
 
We discovered Half Moon Bay and Pacifica way back then, and made our way there again, parking in Pacifica for the night at this beachside hotel:
 

 
 
Which actually looked like this from the sand:
 
 
Is that not dreamy?? 
 
The room wasn't quite as dreamy, but it did have a hot tub... right next to the bed.  And the view from our windows couldn't be beat:


 
 
We took a little sunset stroll...

 


 

 
 
 
And there was frolicking...
 
 
 
 
"Home!"
 


"It's a bird!  It's a plane! It's..." 
 

 
We strolled along 'til the fog rolled in and our fingers and toes were nearly numb from the brisk air of sundown.
 
How do you fully absorb a setting like this??

 
 






3 comments:

Stacey B. said...

Hey! I have been catching up on your blog. It is so fun to see you having so much fun! Seriously. I have also been doing my research for homeschooling and am using many of the ideas you have written about. I am starting homeschooling next year and I am so excited! Since we are in Germany, we are taking advantage of the area and will be studying a lot of European history and taking trips to see it all! I can't wait. Maybe you could supplement your children's education by making a trip to Germany??!! Love to you and your familiy!

Kristie said...

What a fun trip! I love all of your pictures, especially the little Mission Dolores which my students studied. And that staircase is insane! Glad you had a great time!

Tricia said...

Stacey- I would LOVE to take a little field trip to Germany! Don't be surprised if I show up at your front door. ;)

Thanks, Slistie!