.

.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Going Home: Seafood and Sourdough

Just when you thought I'd finished this never-ending vacation series....

One more!

We left Pacifica the next morning and headed back into the big city for a full day before our flight out. First, we did our own home tour around one of the grander neighborhoods by the bay.  You'll probably never see this one plastered on a postcard, but the homes still ooze with San Francisco's unduplicated charm:





 


 

 


We continued our little driving tour as we cut through town.  I managed to get a few token rowhouse pictures from the car window:


 
 
 
 
 
 And a classic streetcar shot- just for you:
 


 


You'd think we would've had our fill of seafood and sourdough by now, seeing as we ate both at nearly every meal.  I was determined to avoid Fisherman's Wharf out of a stubborn desire to stay off the tourist trodden path (I don't love crowds.)  But in the end, our car just naturally gravitated in that direction.  It was pretty nearly completely out of my control, I believe.  And thank heavens, because when we got out of the car and headed in the direction of the Wharf, I remembered why I must never, ever, EVER skip a visit to this place:







The smells!!!

I do believe there is nothing like the aroma of Fisherman's Wharf in all the world.  Something about the combination of salt water breezes, steamed lobster and crab,





hot chowder and fresh baked sourdough bread

ALL IN ONE PLACE.




I'm sure the scents of exhaust and people, cigarettes and beached seals play their part in that smell, too.  No matter- it can't be duplicated.  It is San Francisco.  And it must be indulged. 



 
So we indulged.

Sat right down for a bowl of chowder,


 
 Tuna Sandwhich,



and...you guessed it:

warm sourdough bread.

 
 
In case you'd like to know, I ordered the crab corn chowder:
 

 
 
Need I say more? 
 
 
Years ago, Creighton and I wandered into one of the old warehouses on the Wharf and found a museum of antique arcade games.  It was such a novelty, I never forgot about it. And guess what:  It's still there!  So we stayed for a little while.  The games are all in working condition and play for a quarter each.  What a trip back in time: 
 
 

 
 
 




 
 


 




Creepy.





 

I think Creighton spent half the time admiring this vintage motorbike:




Note to self:  Never skip Fisherman's Wharf.

 


  
 
From the Wharf, we made our way into Golden Gate Park, but just as we arrived, those storm clouds brewing in the photo above gave way to a chilly rain that put us right back in the car and heading out of town.  I said my silent farewell to this city that I love, and our little trip back home came to an end...
 
Almost.
 
We made one final stop in Oakland for a mint chocolate chip shake at Fenton's Creamery-- for old times' sake.  After all, this is where my lifelong love affair with mint and chocolate began...
 

 


 

And that, my friends, is the end of this travelogue of a very fine trip. 
 
Meanwhile, the other 99% of my life and my thoughts is speeding by completely undocumented.  :) 



1 comment:

Kristie said...

I love your pictures!