They said it wouldn't happen. It couldn't happen. Not here in Richmond! NO SNOW. They said that in Seattle, too: "We nevvver get snow here!" And then a big storm dumped snow and ice the week we moved in. Maybe it's us. Abby had just been bemoaning the fact that there would be no white Christmases here, when what to our wondering eyes did appear.....SNOW! And more and more and more snow! Snow all weekend long! So much snow they canceled Church!
I love the first days of a really good snowstorm. The kind that dumps a whole foot in a matter of hours, sequestering you in your own backyard and giving license to endless play. I love that we're forced to stay home and ignore everything that seemed so urgent yesterday; free to usher-out the "to do" lists and usher-in simpler, grander plans.
That's what we did.
The kids had their last day of school on Friday, so we were already in gleeful moods when the snow arrived at dusk. They pranced around outside catching snowflakes in their mouths and we all sat and watched it sparkle from our back windows. There are shin to ceiling windows that run along the entire back side of our house. I can watch the seasons change in full view from just about anywhere I am! It's a dream for me.
But back to the fun-- We built snowmen, went sledding and sledding and sledding some more, had hot cocoa, made a big pot of chili, watched Christmas movies and played Christmas music, wrapped presents, built a big ole' fire, and generally had a very merry time. We even went snowshoeing to the lake!....except we weren't wearing snowshoes....
Just kidding.
They LOVED it!

6 comments:
I think I know why grandmotherhood is so much fun....because then you're not so busy being a mother that you can just PLAY with the kids. I wish there wasn't so much to get done. I love the snow. Wish we could get dumped on here too.
You must live near my cousin. She blogged about the same storm and the canceled everything. Well, I guess I have to cross Virginia off my list of places I could live. Your windows sound awesome!
We didn't have snow, but we can still build a fire on our TV thanks to a cool new DVD we got in the mail. Thanks also for the redneck love songs and Christmas windmill!
All we got was a little icy rain down here. My kids were sooo disappointed, especially since it got close enough for the weathermen to say "maybe." =)
Sounds like a perfect, wonderful day in the Petrey household. I think I would love your windows, too!
You are so lucky to actually have snow clothes for everyone! My kids go out in their jeans and sweater gloves and tennis shoes and come home freezing after 20 minutes! We used to have snow clothes, but Shelby and Caleb were 3 and 4 when we left Utah, so everyone in my family has now outgrown them! Fun blog, by the way!
Sounds like heaven!! I can't find my kid's snow clothes (lost 'em in the move) and finally started begging people we knew and came up with some stuff for Dayne and Cole. If it's gonna keep snowing, we'd better get out in it. (;
Post a Comment