.

.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Midway Sort of Mood


This month, I spent three days with four of the best women on the planet. Four years ago, we started this annual getaway as couples in San Francisco. A fabulous trip. And when none of the ladies could shut their traps, we decided the next trip needed to be a girls getaway. We went to Napa, and we still couldn't stop talking! So much so, that the only time we left our cozy carriage house was to get food...and hunt down a Target. In Napa! That was the end of exotic destinations. We wised up and chose a more convenient, and thoroughly peaceful spot:

Midway, Utah.


Yep. I flew cross-country for these girls. Skipped my 20th High School Reunion so I could make this trip. Strangely, I wasn't particularly feeling any need to get away, but the minute I stepped out of the airport into the dry mountain air, I breathed a deep breath and remembered that no matter how in love I am with the East, I am forever a Western girl. And when my wonderful friend Colleen drove up, I realized how much I needed this trip- without even knowing it.


I've been so consumed with my little world. So occupied with my own family. So content with Craig playing the role of my best boyfriend AND my best girlfriend-- that I forgot how much I need the friendship of amazing women. My favorite thing to do in their company is to just sit back and listen. And LAUGH! For almost three full days, well into the wee hours of the morning, we unloaded a year's worth of....everything! You name it, we covered it.


My mind has had so much to munch on since leaving Utah. I find myself getting lost in thought here and there, turning over the little pearls of wisdom I gathered from our feast of conversation. And remembering why these women have continued to inspire me throughout a decade.


I do believe I'm still... in a Midway sort of mood.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

You have other friends?!? JK...sounds like a great girls' trip. Have a wonderful, well-deserved time!

Sally said...

It's so true that you often don't know how much you need a fun break until you get one. I'm happy you had a great time!

Karen said...

Definitely makes me think of our slooky reunion last year!

davenportreport said...

Loved every minute. (except the water heater)

Thanks for posting that awesome picture of me. I've never looked more amazing!

Tricia said...

HEY- I told you to send me the group photo. That's what you get!