.

.

Friday, November 19, 2010

I Have a Little Story

And I only have 30 minutes to tell it.  Here goes:

I've been reading Hugh Nibley lately.  He's messing with my mind.  I love digging deep and exploring new layers of thought on old principles.  If you've ever read Nibley, you know that he has a knack for this.  I'm not even going to attempt to summarize anything I've read, since my brain is still part mush from so many years of toddler-speak, but I will say this:  I'm learning to see life from a different perspective.  And it makes me want to do something about it. 

So I decided to pick one little area of my life and try an experiment of faith.  I wanted to change my perspective on the "things" I have and the "things" I need or want.  To stop thinking in terms of how much money I need, or how much money something is worth, and start seeing everything as a literal gift from God, regardless of how it came into my life or will come into my life.  I've always felt this way about the big things.  For instance, our home:  definite gift from God.  But not always the smaller things.  I had a list of things I needed/wanted for my home, and a list of things I planned to sell in order to provide the money for the former.  But once I saw all of these smaller things as gifts from God, I decided that maybe I didn't need to sell the gifts I no longer needed. 

Are you with me?

If they are gifts, I ought to do what God would want me to do with them- I ought to pass those gifts along to someone else.  So, rather than go through the hassle of listing said items to sell, all the while focusing on money spent, money gained, money, money, money.  I decided to give it all away.  Give the gifts God gave me to someone else to use and enjoy.  In letting go of my financial grip, my heart was free to feel the joy of freely spreading God's gifts and making many different people as happy as I was. 

But I didn't leave this open-ended.  I started my faith experiment with an end result in mind.  I decided that if I freely gave away the gifts that were given to me, then surely God would send my way those things I needed and wanted for my home.  My list included:

  • An upright freezer for the garage
  • A refrigerator for the garage
  • A tailor-made sofa slipcover
  • A tailor-made armchair slipcover
  • A piano.

That last one is a biggie, I  know. Especially because I had a certain kind in mind. The tough part about my list is that I'm very picky when it comes to home furnishings.  One might argue that I ought not have such specific tastes.  But I would say that I have too many stories about how God has sent my way the specific things I've needed and wanted over the years, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind if we have preferences.  It's a way of expressing ourselves and enjoying the variety of creation. 

So, that was my list.  And I sent it up to heaven with my thoughts. 

And over the past two weeks, every single one of those things, including the very PIANO has landed in my lap either free, or for a small fraction of the expected cost- which we could certainly afford with the money God has already gifted us to meet our needs.


Isn't that  a great story?  I thought so.  I could expand it and tell you about every single item and how miraculous it all was, but I'll just leave it at this simple little something for now.

My time is up.

p.s.  I have a nice chest freezer God gave us that we no longer need.  Anyone looking for a freezer?

16 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, that's some serious faith! What a great perspective--thanks for sharing. I'll have to mull that over while my mushy brain turns mushier.

Ashley said...

As the recipient of some of your "gifts", I know I have been blessed by you with items that we did need, but not necessarily in a position to buy. Thank you.

davenportreport said...

James calls that the power of visualizing. He's a real believer.

I'm going to call you though cuz I want the details!

Sally said...

Trish, you should have posted this 2 months ago because that is the amount of time that has passed since I spent a large chunk of savings on a new piano. I would much rather have done it your way. :)

Tricia said...

Sally- I'm sure your piano is much nicer than mine! I just wanted a starter piano- something old and lovely we could tinker on for a few years while we're all learning. I'm praying for a miracle with the piano tuner...

Ray said...

How hard is it to ship a freezer from Virginia to Arizona?

Darla said...

cool. so cool! always want to pick at your brain, Trish. sometime?

Kim said...

Wow! That is awesome! Thanks for posting. Would you mind sharing what you are reading by Hugh Nibley? I would love to read it too.

Kristie said...

A great story of faith, Trish! I really enjoy visiting your blog. =)

Tricia said...

Hi Kimberly- I've been reading "Approaching Zion." It's a collection of Hugh Nibley's lectures over a couple of decades.

melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your experience . . . it's so encouraging! when you think you are doing a good job at following the commandments, there is always a deeper or higher level to move onto.

Anonymous said...

Try garage sales. Make your own slip cover

Tricia said...

Thanks for your suggestions. I do frequent the Goodwill and Craigslist when I need something. I have made all of our slipcovers in the past, but in my present circumstances (5 young children), I have to pick and choose what I take on with so little leisure time.

Corey said...

I love it!! I really believe this principle! That is why I gave away my piano when we left town. And even though we don't have a place yet for another piano...I truly believe that when the time comes...so will the piano. :) (Again, this is Sarah) Thanks for posting this. It was something I needed to hear. :)

Kitchen Recovery said...

I've also been trying to read Approaching Zion for quite a while-but I keep getting sidetracked with easier books. Those books where every sentence is profound take me a while. ;)
I love that you are thinking of everything as a gift from God. I think it's so true. I've had great experiences also with what I call my "tithing blessings." I love it when things I've been needing or wanting are put in our paths in a miraculous way!

Tina said...

I love this Tricia! We just had something similar happen in our lives. I'm working on being more specific with my dreaming. I've always felt guilty for being so picky and wanting things a certain way. I love your perspective on that. And--I'm happy to agree!!