.

.

Friday, February 18, 2011

When Grandpa Petrey Rings Twice

Creighton's dad passed away two years ago. One night last year, we were all sitting around the dinner table talking about him when the doorbell rang-- half-way. Someone got up to answer it, but no one was there. I, somewhat jokingly, said: "It's Grandpa Petrey coming to say 'Hello!'" "He heard us talking about him!" All eyes grew as big and wide as my smile. I used it as an opportunity to teach about death and the spirit world, and we went on with our evening.

A few weeks later, we were once again sitting at the dinner table and Grandpa Petrey came up in conversation. Guess what happened: the doorbell rang-- half-way. That's when I knew I was right. We all answered in unison: "Hi, Grandpa Petrey!" And ever since then, we know that when the doorbell rings half way, it's Grandpa coming to visit us. It only ever happens during dinner, when we're all together. And it's never the full Ding-Dong, just the DING.

And no one is ever at the door.

Tonight the doorbell rang during dinner. DING! Miri was across the room and immediately shouted: "HI, GRANDPA PETREY!"

And we all smiled and waved.

=)


8 comments:

Karla said...

What a sweet story! I bet it really IS Grandpa Petrey.

Karen said...

I think Grandpa Petrey is having a little fun! =)

Sally said...

So like a Grandpa to do something fun and silly like that to make the kids light up for him!

The LS Voice said...

I understand.

Kristie said...

Wow, I'm speechless! I'm sure your instincts are right!

Ray said...

um...wow

Darla said...

No way!! That's really cool.

Stacey B. said...

I have chills, girl. That is so cool.