It all started out so pleasantly. I had my Christmas shopping (mostly) done by Thanksgiving. Christmas cards sent out the first week of December. Plenty of low key time for snowflake making and gingerbread- a party here, a concert there. It was all very lovely and festive and meaningful....until, oh, until about two days before Christmas. Then something snapped inside and I suddenly felt like I was trying to outrun a tsunami! I managed a narrow escape and all was well, but there were just so many darn places to be with so much darn holiday food! I'm completely spoiled. The past 4 Christmases have been so simple and peaceful. The first two because of the twins- (no point in going anywhere), and the last two because we were far far away with no place to be other than in front of a cozy crackling fire with hot cocoa and baklava.
We made it through the holiday week and exhaled a huge sigh of relief on New Years Day. We really are happy to be home for Christmas again, and can't think of anything we did that we would want to miss, but ironically, there's something about all of the food prep and eating and sitting and driving and hauling kids to and fro that just wore me right out! I'm working on a solution, because I'm the sort of girl that just loves to shake things up...I'll let you know what I come up with next year.
In the meantime, I have a handful of snapshots to document this Christmas. These are the little things that brought me joy this year...
I let the kids have at it with the gingerbread house. Loved it.
Snowflake Making.
Luke's annual quest to create the tiniest paper snowflake known to man.
At the moment, I can't even remember what these flowers are called, but they make me happy every year.
Helping out the Rescue Mission. Miri was nobly determined to be at the center of this project.
My wreaths. Love them.
(nephew) Chase and Jessica's wedding. Perfectly beautiful couple. Perfectly beautiful day.
Hard to tell from a picture, but this was the most beautiful tree we've ever had.
My alltime favorite Christmas decoration.
Oh the things you can think up with a few nativities. The twins thought of them all.
What to do when you have no fireplace?...(Who doesn't put a fireplace in a home?! Dodos.) (Who buys a home without a fireplace?!!! Doh.)
This little girl squealing with delight every time she heard Feliz Navidad- and breaking out in song and dance.
Taking pictures of Creighton eating chocolates for a gag gift. I laughed so hard I was in tears. (I realized it would never be nearly as funny to anyone else)
Part of our Middle Eastern spread for Christmas Eve at my sister Carolyn's home.
Dinner in Jerusalem and a silent nativity with Manheim Steamroller's Silent Night. Absolutely beautiful.
Christmas morning. I love that little ones can open one gift and be completely satisfied for the entire morning.
Abby's dream come true.
A mother's horror. Not my idea for this little 6 year old. At one point we thought it was lost forever, but no luck. FOUND -- two days ago. Bummer.
What I loved most about our family get togethers this year was the music. I had nothing to offer, but I sure enjoyed listening to everyone else...
Especially my cute grandma singing her amazingly endless repertoire of sweet little folk tunes:
That about wraps it up.
Happy New Year everyone!















3 comments:
I would like the un-tweaked version, please. This one sounds pretty happy. =) Seriously, I know how the holidays can suddenly get bogged down by the schedule, and you find yourself feeling frantic and on the go way too much. I remember a few years ago - when we used to drive to northern VA to spend Christmas with Jason's family - we were sitting in horrendous DC traffic going absolutely nowhere, and Jason (who was close to losing it by then) turned to me and said, "This is the last year we're doing this." And it was. =)
Aww, I love the pictures! Despite the challenges, I'll bet you're happy to be back in the same state as your family.
A silent nativity? How perfectly perfect! And the family music sharing? That's just wonderful. It must be so nice to live around family, again. Your grandma is so cute, btw. Oh, one more thing: do you just LOVE season two of Downton Abbey?!! So happy making. :)
Post a Comment