.

.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

One Wild Ride-- Happy Birthday Girls!

We celebrated Kate and Caroline's 4th birthday this week. 





This was my favorite gift of theirs:


But I do believe it was the big fat roll of gum that made their day:


4 Years Old!!

It's surreal to think about.  When I was expecting them, and hearing so many stories about raising twins, I established some mile markers in my mind to help me pace myself for the adventure ahead:

2 years of survival mode.

4 years of a wild ride. 

I don't know whether setting those sights made it so, or if I was just dead on with my expectations, but so it has been.  Those first two years were a marathon of physical endurance caring for 5 little dependants with two babes in arms and a traveling husband. Then, just before the two year bend, those babes climbed out of my arms and pulled us all onto the wildest ride of our lives.  Twisting, turning, whipping and whirling us all about on their tempestuous twosome tour (how's that for alliteration!)  They were kind enough to slow things down a bit last year, and I thought for sure the ride was coming to an end- months before I had projected, no less!  But it was not to be...  Just as I was exhaling and loosening my grip, they jerked us forward for another round of loops and hills and wild bends- as if to be sure they've stretched themselves and the rest of us to  the outermost realms of possibility for two little toddlers. 

I realize I'm talking a bit of nonsense.  What I mean to say (and I've said it before) is:

WOW.  What a ride!  What a dizzying, exasperating, knee bending, wearying, soul stretching, heart-softening, arm filling, joyful ride!

I love these two little girls beyond expression.  They are the twinkle and the sparkle and the laughter in our family.  They fill me with happiness from one moment to the next.  I am wistful to see their baby years come to an end, but I can't be sad for too long, because I see the beautiful, delightful little ladies they are becoming, and I can't go backwards!  Well...as long as I don't have to let these cheeks go any time soon:



It has been a year of transormation-- from do it for me to do it myself (as so excellently expressed in their hairstyles)--  And from "Here we are" to "Here I am!"  These girls share that exceptional bond that only twins know, and they clearly enjoy their sameness, but at the same time, they are learning to assert their individuality now, too.  They are not one and the same, and they want to be sure we know that!  We are having fun incorporating those distinctions into our interactions with them.  Most of all, it's been a year of imagination, exploration and introduction to a bigger world.   Their days are spent lost in a world of their own creation facilitated with props and dress ups of every kind.  It's been fascinating to watch what happens when a three year old has a like minded little soul to share every imaginative whim and fantasy.  I've decided that when it comes to creativity, two are definitely more fantastic than one.

So...is the wild ride really over??  Hmm....I think it's much safer not to even guess.  I'll just keep trying to do what I've surrendered myself to over and over again:

Let go, breathe deeply and try your darndest to just enjoy the journey.

Here is a sampling of their year in pictures:



































Happy Birthday Kate and Caroline!

4 comments:

Kristie said...

What precious girls and precious pictures! Happy Birthday K&C!

Karen said...

So cute! And glad you have managed to hang on so far. =)

Darla said...

Too cute! Already 4!!

Cath said...

They are precious, those two. Love all the photos - especially the hair cuts! ;) Happy Birthday!