.

.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Need To Keep Writing

because everyone's happy and occupied at the moment, and that just does not happen very often. So here's what I want to say right this very minute. I Love my friends. I have such good friends. So good, that I can be a million miles away from all of them and still feel like I'm surrounded by people who know me and love me in spite of myself, and who I could turn to at any time just to laugh, cry, gripe or gasp about life. It doesn't happen very often these days, simply because I can barely get a shower in before I've wiped out my daily quota of alone time... or chat time (I chat to myself in the shower. Uh..in my head).

The point is, I know some pretty great women. Friends who've come along one by one in my life and managed to stick around. Some unexpected, some thrown in my path, and some prayed for. Yes, I pray for friends. Or, rather, I've prayed to be friends with certain people I meet (I'm an introvert). And those prayers have always been answered. And the best part is how different so many of them are. For instance, here are some really silly friends:

Silly, Silly, Silly. You wouldn't know it by looking at the picture. Silliest women in the world. (Yes, "women," as we were reminded by some not-so-silly co-eds while we stalked our old apartment a few weeks ago. It's been 15 years since we've all been together- old roomates from BYU. You'd think we'd never grown up and ran off with husbands and children. Fun, fun friends, in the Slookiest of ways.

I was able to see so many good friends this summer before we left. So many little and big reunions and get-togethers. Sadly, I didn't have my darn camera with me for most of them. Thanks to Slooky Slistie for this one. Seeing so many of these friends lately made me wonder two things: 1) Am I going to die soon 2)How many of these friendships were designed before I lived. When people come in and out of your life, and not necessarily deliberately, over a span of 15-20 years (or more,) how can your relationship with them not be orchestrated? I think about all the ways they have been woven into my life, and I can't help but wonder if it won't continue until the day I die. [There I go using that word "die" again. I promise I don't have a death wish.]

Anyway, here's to my Slooks, Corner Girls, Stratford Ladies, Soeurs, DuPont and Daybreak women, Montana Kim, The Cuz and all the other wonderful friends I've made through the years who continue to pop in and out of my life and leave me feeling blessed to know you.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Who are you calling silly?? =)

I know I've been feeling that "sigh...what good friends I have" ever since our slook reunion. Every time I pull up my blog and see the pictures, I have to smile. So many, many memories!

plainoldsarah said...

just this evening we had a family home evening lesson on gratitude. these were some of my very thoughts. thanks tricia!

Kristie said...

We love you too, Slishy! And I feel the same way about special people who have come into my life, most of whom live far away. Knowing that they are friends of mine is like a security blanket of love that is always around me. We are very, very lucky!

Sally said...

I felt so melancholy after the Slook Reunion was over missing all of you so much. But then I thought about how easy it was to be best friends again after 15 years (it's not like that with all my friends I've met over the years) and I realized that it will always be that way. If I see you guys again tomorrow or when I'm 80 or in some unimaginable place in eternity it will be just as happy as it was when we were 20 yrs old at BYU. And I think of you now every time I eat avocado or chicken.