.

.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Hate Is a Strong Word

Isn't it. But that's how I feel about the whole candy in church thing- or in school, for that matter. When I was in Primary, eons ago, we allowed teachers to bring candy twice a year (though I don't remember being involved in that decision- it must have been made before I came). I thought that was reasonable. The next time I was in primary, I remember a letter circulating about eliminating all food in primary. It lasted for awhile, but after 6 months was forgotten.

So, now let me reveal the hypocrite that is me. As I sit here typing this in our hotel room (we're attempting a beach trip during a hurricane), my children are arguing over the BAGS OF CANDY Daddy bought them down in the lobby. I've managed to keep candy out of the house lately, but once we leave, there are no guarantees-I have to let go sometimes. And I want to let go sometimes. Just not EVERY SINGLE DAY at church and at school.

I'm a really imperfect person and an even more imperfect mother, but I have learned a few things along the way, and if I could just apply them all to myself at the same time... well, it sure would be something. One thing I know for absolute certain is that what you put into your body is what you get out of it- on so many levels. Sugar is just the beginning.

Aaaaaand it's time for me to get goin'. Creighton needs his computer back

Remind me to take pictures of us at the beach during a hurricane. :)

5 comments:

Kristie said...

I am with you on the candy thing at church. I've never heard of such a thing! I would never give candy to my students. (For one thing, candy isn't allowed at school,) but besides that, it seems to override the parents' decisions on what their kids consume. Is it just one particular teacher? Can you talk to the presidency or the bishopric? There has to be a better way to do prizes. What about little raffle tickets and a prize box? I have bought party favors because you get so many for a semi-low price. Sounds like your teachers need to be a little more creative...and sensitive. What if a kid is allergic to peanuts or is diabetic??

Tricia said...

Exactly!!

davenportreport said...

Luke's school teacher was HORRIBLE about that last year - always rewarding everything with donuts, skittles, etc. Drove me crazy! We have a no treats rule in our primary - just have your presidency look at the handbook and remind the teachers. So annoying!

How's the hurricane?

Sally said...

I am so with you on the candy/sugar thing. If you ever need to vent about it just give me a call! One of the things that really upsets me is that I would like to give my kids a treat once in a while, but since they seem to get them everywhere else then I feel I have to always be the one saying no.

Tricia said...

I wish I could just "remind" the teachers without being offensive. I've got to figure out a way though...anonymous note, maybe? I am right with you Sally about always being the one who says "No." If the junk wasn't everywhere, I would love to say "yes" more.