.

.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

You Know What I Don't Love About Church?

Teachers handing out candy. I'm not talking about pieces, I'm talking BAGS of candy EVERY. SINGLE. SUNDAY.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Would somebody PLEASE tell them to STOP the INSANITY?!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey how fun to get a comment from a surprise old friend! The smoothie sounds delicious except for the spinach. What are you...related to Popeye or something? I can't believe you guys have moved to Virginia!!!! What a wild life you guys live. Loved looking at all the pictures...and then I laughed really hard when I came to your "I'ld swear I'ld never do it" post. You'll be glad you did!

Karen said...

I glanced at your blog and thought, "what I HATE about church??" I thought her last post was happy!? Then I realized it was your next post...

Sounds like your ward needs a little refresher on the church handbook. There's actually a section titled "Food in Primary," and it basically says it shouldn't be done. So scream away, my friend, you're justified! =)

Tina said...

I was going to say the same thing as Karen--read the handbook! I worked really hard to stress this when I was Primary president. Things did improve, of course there are always a few teachers who just don't care what you say. I could write a whole dissertation on why rewards (especially in a church setting) are not effective and possibly even harmful, but not today. Elder Packer has a great talk on the topic. If I can find it, I'll send you the link. I'm feeling your pain!

Sally said...

I can't stand it either! One of the boys teachers gave them HUGE KING size candy bar packages if they brought scriptures four weeks in a row. Boy were they faithful! Then, of course, one of them always gets a better treat than the others and the rest of them cry about it. And wow, I can't believe the griping and complaining when they actually come home and the teacher didn't give them ANYTHING! I've had many a talk with my kids that we go to church to learn and feel the Spirit, not to get candy. But I don't think they buy it much yet. I was first counselor for many years and never had the least bit support of the rest of the Presidency on a no candy policy. There are two things that I wish the Prophet would come out and say. They are:
1. Thou shall not give candy to kids in church. (for my kids)
2. Thou shall not drink soda. (for my husband!