I love Halloween. I really do. When I was little, I spent most of the year dreaming about it. Every Halloween night, as Trick-or-Treating would wind down, I would get this wistful sad feeling, wishing the night would never end. What was it? What is it? The candy? Dressing up? Glowing pumpkins? Being out at night? Fall? All of the above?
Yup.
I love that for one night of the year, complete strangers open up their homes to eachother. I love that the whole neighborhood is out on the street celebrating- entire families parading in costume in the dark. I have this thing about crowds of people uniting in happy causes. I always cry. I don't think I've ever actually cried about Halloween, but there's something about the whole world coming outside to have fun together that almost gives me goose bumps.
It's interesting the range of opinions on this holiday. The anti-Halloweeners appeal to me with their tales of cozy home parties filled with friends, games and savory treats in lieu of all the junk. And the parents who join in the fun, but give their children money in exchange for their bags of loot certainly have something going. But, the truth is, I can't give it all up- not even part of it up. Not yet, anyway. My kids love Halloween as much as I did. The looks on their faces when they dump out their candy at the end of the night are filled with such dreamy wonder, you'd think they'd just stepped out of Willy Wonka's factory. I hate that candy is passed out in school and church all year long because it robs from the pure delight of candy on days like Halloween (among other reasons.)
So, I may be a bit of a Nutrition Nazi, but it's secretly just so we can thoroughly enjoy our treats! That's how Creighton sees it. When he dies, his epitaph will read: "He wanted somethin' really goooooood..." He does a good job keeping me in line. Treats for all reasons, treats for all seasons....including a little candy on Halloween. Because some things in life are just meant to be enjoyed.
And that's my .02.
Not that anyone was asking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Given your self-proclaimed status as Nutrition Nazi, I'm glad to hear you make exceptions for Halloween. =) I'm with you, I think that nite is part of the magic of childhood. As we were trick-or-treating the other nite, my daughter proclaimed, "This has been the best day ever!"
I come from a Halloween loving family. I have the best memories of Halloween because my dad went all out and made a spook alley in our garage every year. People would line up down the sidewalk to get their turn to come through our house. Life wouldn't be as joyful to me without "treats" here and there! It comes down to balance, doesn't it?
Hey! Glad you found me. Are you coming to Martha's next Thurs. morning? Did you get my email about it?
Post a Comment