No matter what my girls are doing, when they hear those voices, they stop in their tracks, and like aliens to the mother ship, make their way magnetically to the TV screen, where they remain, literally entranced, until the narration ends.
They hear that voice! That soft, sweet, nurturing, you've-never-felt-so-safe-and-loved voice. A voice that embodies all of the kindness and tenderness that every child deserves to be treated with. A voice that embodies Love. And one that their hearts obviously respond to.

I've been practicing that voice. I mean my own version of that voice.
It's not that I don't have a nice voice (I hope). It's just that much of the time, it's my sensible nice voice- if you know what I mean. So, I decided to see what would happen if I slowed it down and softened it up just a little more often. So that they don't just hear it for the babies, or just when someone is hurt or sad, or even just when things are calm. What if I made it more gentle and soothing all around...like Julie Clark....or Sissel?
Because if I was a little girl (and a part of me still is), that's the kind of voice I would want to surround me all the time.

It's been fun to observe the reaction in my 4 year old. She's my "spirited" child. My wild horse. Everything I learned about mothering with my first two went out the window when she was born.
But I am grateful for her. I see now how I've needed her to weed out the insides of me; to help me be a more loving, gentle mother- the kind I dream of being.
When I speak to Miri in my Sissel voice, I can feel her iron will soften. When I speak in that voice, I actually feel myself become a more patient person- less wearied by her Miri ways. And lately, I can see my voice alone light up her eyes and bring a sweet smile to her face.

Miri is almost at that magical age where irrationality finally gives way to something resembling reason. After a year of me playing the arch nemesis to her 3 year old mind, she is at last discovering her Mommy- the one she can run to and find a safe, soft place filled with love. And when she hears it in my voice, she really does come running.
The recent rash of hugs and kisses and the twinkle in her eye are priceless payback for me.

5 comments:
I think there is definitely something to be said about tone and volume in voice. I have noticed that over the years with my students. The calmer and quieter I am, the more affect I have. Kids can still sense the sternness and seriousness, but I think that they respect you more when you are kind and calm. I'm always amazed at teachers who constantly scream and yell--the kids tune them out and the desired result is never achieved. So, good on you for using your voice's tone to its advantage! :-)
This is a skill I can work on for sure! The trick is to maintain sweetness when the child is pushing all of my buttons! I guess it just takes lots of practice! Thanks for your good example!
Sometimes turning on your slook voice works wonders, too. Catches them totally off guard. =)
Thanks for posting this at this time. It was probably because I needed to hear it. I'm going to try that too. I hope it makes me a better mom.
So not my strength, but you've inspired me to work on it. I think I'll try Charlotte out first. Not a big fan of Glinda's voice, but Charlotte--I might be able to pull that off.
Post a Comment