
This obviously isn't a green smoothie, but it sure is pretty, isn't it? That was Christmas Morning Smoothie. There was nothing green about it. I'm not sure a picture of a green smoothie beginning would do the ingredients justice because I blend it up in parts: first the greens and water, then the fruit. A picture of it would just show fruit submerged in murky waters. Not nearly as pretty as the one above.
Here's a green smoothie gone a-muck:

mmmm....doesn't that look good?
I've had a few people ask about green smoothies, so I thought I'd say a bit more. (If you really want details, go to greensmoothiegirl.com).
Sarah- yes, I do add water. I started out doing half water, half juice, but quickly found that I preferred the lightness of water. The more greens I had, the more sensitive I became to sugar. I started my kids out with some juice, too, but now even they will sometimes say it's too sweet when I do that. I do have to always check their smoothies before handing them out because you never know how ripe frozen fruit was/is and that always affects the sweetness level. I don't want to kill their enthusiasm with bitter smoothies.

Sometimes I'll add a little bit of Stevia (herbal sweetner)- like 1/4 teaspoon or less- it's pretty powerful. Recently I found a Mango drink that Costco sells that I sometimes use for the kids' smoothies. It's Mango puree/pulp and apple juice mixed. To me, it tastes a little like canned peaches in the smoothie, which isn't my favorite flavor, but it works when the fruit I have isn't so sweet. I only put in about half a cup of it with the water. The smoothies I make for myself are only lightly sweet, and sometimes not at all. I think the appeal is psychological for me- drinking the greens is refreshing! Kale can be bitter, but I really like it now when I get proportions right.
Sally- You are way beyond me on the "fat-soluble vitamins." Thanks for the tip. Up until a few weeks ago, I was putting flax seed oil or ground flax seed in my smoothies nearly everyday, BUT, I am pleased to announce that after a long and frustrating investigation, I have discovered that flax is the evil ingredient that has been giving me cruel acne for the past 8 months. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me! All this "clean" eating and I was breaking out like never before. I had a Thermogram done last month and learned that flax seed oil contributes to the level of abnormalities in breast scans. I had wondered how wise the oil really was in the beginning (I'm skeptical about isolating "miracle" foods like that) so this was all I needed to hear. I stopped using it. And guess what! My skin started clearing up. But I didn't make the connection until two weeks ago when I made some granola and put ground flax seed in it. Not 24 hours later I was broken out all over again. I googled it, and sure enough, I'm not alone. For some reason, I am one of many who can't tolerate the phytoestrogens. Which probably means something else about me and estrogen that I don't understand yet. All I know is NO FLAX = NO ACNE, and that's enough for me for now.
So, I used to put oil in my smoothies regularly. Half the time I still put a small handful of nuts and/or shredded coconut in it- but I do it for "good measure" to keep blood sugar levels in check, and because I like the flavors. Now I have another reason! You always did have the brains, Smelly. I mean Sally.
Tina- This is my favorite smoothie recipe:
2 cups water
handful spinach, handful kale (stuffed up to the water line)
1 medium stalk celery
3 inches of cucumber
small handful cashews or almonds
1-2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
frozen equivalent of one mango
AND
1 cup frozen blueberries
OR
1 cup frozen strawberries and 1-2 clementines
OR
2 cups frozen mixed fruit (strawberries, honeydew, peaches, pineapple- Costco)
Mangoes are hands-down my favorite smoothie fruit. I put them in every smoothie if I have them. Too bad I can never say that they are "local and in season." =)

3 comments:
My vote is for the Christmas Morning Smoothie. I can't get past the vomit comment. =O
The Christmas morning smoothie is very pretty and I bet it was delicious! But I do want to try the green smoothie. I like bitter flavors if, like you said, you have the right proportions.
If you are sensitive to phytoestrogens then you should be careful with anything soy. Soy is loaded with phytoestrogens. I especially keep it away from my kids. I figure anything powerfully enough estrogenic to help post menopausal women is probably not a good idea for growing boys and girls. It's a bummer, though, because I love tofu and so do the kids.
I wish I could figure out what my acne trigger is! Actually, I know that it is closely related to sugar consumption, but it is so hard to keep sugar consumption close to zero. Waaa for me!
That is so interesting about the flax!! I use it every once in a while, but find that I hate the way it messes up the taste of a perfectly good smoothy. I'm excited to try your green drink recipe. My kids love a smoothie recipe I found on www.simplehealthytasty.blogspot.com
It's a green orange julius.
2 cups rice milk
1 cup water
handful of spinach (or more if you like)
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
1 tsp vanilla
(I use a little agave nectar for extra sweetness)
1-2 cups frozen peaches (I've also used mangoes and strawberries)
Miss you friend...
Post a Comment