
mmmm......
This is lunch today. I have this crazy goal- I call it "The Daily Dozen." I try to get in at least one serving each of a dozen different vegetables in a day. It doesn't always happen (especially on weekends, holidays, birthdays, etc.,) but I've done it! A far cry from the average 2 a day I've been getting most of my life. (Getting enough fruit has never been an issue.) I can do 10 vegetables pretty easily now, but a dozen has eluded me- which makes it a good goal! I think I figured it out this week, though. I started adding celery and cucumbers to my green smoothies....and now that makes 12!
I know this is a little odd. I don't necessarily think anyone needs to be eating a dozen different vegetables in a day- I just love the challenge. I love all the colors- all the different shades of green and splashes of red or orange or yellow. This salad (above) is missing the usual sweet peppers that make it especially irresistible, but it's still scrumptious!
yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum....
So here's how I get my Daily Dozen (in case you're aching to know):
Green Smoothie:
1. Spinach
2. Kale
3. Cucumber
4. Celery
(along with whatever fruit I'm in love with that day--and water)
Big 'Ole Salad (or Roasted Vegetables):
5. Greens
6. Asparagus
7. Sprouts
8. Mushrooms
9. Onions
10 Sweet Peppers
11. Avocado
(or whatever salad veggies I've got)
Dinner Vegetable:
12. Steamed Broccoli/Cauliflower/Peas/Carrots/Green Beans, etc.
When I was nursing the twins, my favorite thing to do was watch episodes of Everyday Italian with Abby and Miri. We'd oogle as Giada sliced and diced her way into culinary heaven. (And during commercial breaks we'd discuss modesty and cleavage....) I had visions of returning to the kitchen someday and creating the deceptively simple-looking meals that Giada whipped together with such flair. If nothing else, I credit her for increasing my appetite for delicious and colorful meals- which is always peaked after having a baby as it is.
I would love to have a team working behind the scenes of my kitchen like Giada does. The biggest problem with The Daily Dozen is having time to make the Big 'Ole Salad. All that slicing and dicing and what not. I love to do it, but having the freedom to do it is another thing. If I don't fix the salad during naptime, there's little chance I'll get it in for dinner. When I can't fit it in, I end up bringing a tub of greens to the table and dining on them straight from the earth (via a few truck rides). Those are the days I only get about half of the daily dozen (Green Smoothies are so easy there's no excuse to skip out on them.) But half is still far better than former days for me.
And good, green fun all around.

6 comments:
I'm impressed. I should try to even half that--6 would be good for me. Do you add water to your green smoothies or milk? As is, it sounds like green pulp. LOL. =)
That is really cool! I don't think I've ever gotten a dozen in. It makes me want to try it. I'm glad you wrote what you put in your green smoothies. It gave me ideas for mine. Some things I put in mine (cuz YOU really want to know, right?) are a handful of baby carrots, yogurt and soymilk, in addition to, of course, frozen fruit and the spinach. I've never tried Kale, celery or cucumbers in mine. I think I will to see how I like it. Thanks for the ideas. I just want to be you.
Good for you!! I've been trying to do a salad a day too, and I can't tell you how much better I've been feeling. Bring on Spring (and fresh veggies!) I say!! (;
p.s. I need to try to start doing my green smoothies without sugary apple juice (or orange) or yogurt. I'm gonna try your way! (;
The salad looks delicious! But it's the same for me...it's the prep that kills me. And the washing and rinsing! Winter is hard, also, because I feel guilty buying produce from anywhere farther south than Mexico. You go Trish! And don't forget to eat some fat with your veggies or all the fat soluble vitamins will go straight through you.
Too bad we can't be neighbors. We could take turns making the salad each day! Have you tried jicama in your salad?
If you are interested my favorite health website by far is www.westonaprice.org
If you find any good ones pass them on.
You are head and shoulders above me and my vegetable quest! I'll just leave it at that. =)
Post a Comment