I take pictures of my lunch.
Its a new hobby. It requires very little time, very little brain power, no money at all and is somehow extremely satisfying. How many hobbies can you say that about?

A couple of years ago, I had this dream of starting a Salad Wagon in my neighborhood. We lived in a community full of young families with mothers at home, and I just knew there had to be a hundred other women like me who would fall to their knees for a mouth watering salad when lunchtime rolled around, but instead were popping chicken nuggets and finishing off their kids' corn dogs in spite of whatever they'd dreamed up for themselves just an hour before.

Because that's just how it is at lunchtime with little ones.

I'd discovered Zupas (a soup and salad place in Utah,) and if I'd had the oomph (and a bottomless bank account) to load two kids and two babies into the car everyday at lunch and haul us all over to Zupas, I would have.
But I didn't.So instead, I would sit in my rocking chair at 2am (and 3am and 4am and 5am) nursing and imagining how Zupas and I could get together and build a beautiful relationship that involved a truck and some really hip girl music that would ring through the homes of Daybreak and beckon all housewives to the curb, waving fistfuls of cash (that would fund my remodeling projects) and joining me in praises for the most amazing, God-sent idea in history- The Salad Wagon.

Surely there's a better name, but it never came to me at 2am.
And it doesn't matter anyway because we moved, and it would never work in our new neighborhood.
So instead, I've been working on simpler lunches.

Because sometimes a salad is just too much effort

at Noon.

Do you think it's possible to OD on avocadoes?

The lunch picture I don't have here is the cardboard box of macaroni and cheese. Just in case you're worried I might ride up into the sky in my salad wagon and never come down.
Because honestly, can anyone really resist a big hot pot of shells and cheese???
mmmm.....yummy yum yum.
Just as an appetizer to those brussel sprouts, of course.

9 comments:
The tomato/guacamole sandwich and the asparagus/mushroom combo look yummy! Of course, I'm way more thrilled to find out you still indulge your sweet tooth, too. Yes, I was wondering. =)
Can I come to lunch at your house?!!! It all looks so yummy!
Ray and I are folllowing a nutrition plan (pick your jaw up off the floor) because he is involved in a fitness study at work. Anyway, we have to eat LOTS of veggies, and I need your ideas for yummy ways to fix them! You're such a good example! Avacados are awesome, and if your salad wagon came rollin' by my house, I'd come out and buy some for sure!
Your salad wagon idea is one of the major reasons I never wanted to leave Taiwan. A million mom and pop places and corner stands selling food they had just cooked themselves from ingredients they had just bought at the outdoor markets that morning from farmers that lived just down the road. If I didn't want to make lunch in Taiwan I didn't have to and it never broke the bank. I hate lunch in America. Every day at noon my stomach tightens up into a ball of anger that I can't just go buy myself and the kids a nice bian dang. I have issues.
P.S. You would die to have eaten the avocados they could grow in Taiwan.
Love it. I too am a victim of uber-nutritious and deliciously satisfying meals, only to bomb out on chocolate later. It's like that--what's a girl to do? Just keep trying . . .
Your stuff looks scrumptious. Way to go.
I'm so glad to know someone else is having my same thoughts! Your lunches look fabulous. Maybe we could start our own salad wagon right here in Richmond. Cause I know you know how to make a mean salad. :)
Will you cook for me?! I'll babysit or something else I might find I can do... Maybe we can do a dinner swap. Have you ever done that? I have done it and loved it. I just want to go eat salad now. It's probably good I read this post because I'm about to go grocery shopping and I'm sure it will inspire what I buy.
As I try to loose baby weight amid scads of casseroles, lasagna and homemade bread, I think ODing on avocados sounds AWESOME!
Post a Comment