.

.

Monday, October 25, 2010

The "Natural" Mother in Me

I was talking to a good friend the other day and asked about a mutual friend of ours who has three small children.  "Oh, she's really struggling," my friend said, "It's really hard for her.  She feels like such a bad mother."  I immediately empathized with our friend's struggles and feelings, remembering especially how hard it was for me when my oldest were so small.  The long, mind-numbing days meeting endless needs.  The exhaustion, the tears (mine and theirs), the general heaviness of being a mother of small children.  It was not easy.  It IS not easy.

My friend looked at me and said: "But you're a natural Mother.  She isn't.  Motherhood just isn't her thing." (I'm paraphrasing here.)

Wow.  I'm glad I make it look easy.  I guess.  I can say today that I absolutely love my job, but it did not all come naturally.  In fact, I think the only instinct I can claim is the love I have for my children.  That came as soon as they were born.  But the rest?  Hmm...

I always wanted to be a mother, and my friend knows this, but I think she has confused desire with ability.  It wasn't just "there" for me.  Being a Mother-- learning how to mother my children in the fullest sense has been the most soul-stretching, heart-expanding experience of my life.   And I'm still learning.  Giving up everything else to be at home and be fully present and passionate about what I do has been my mission.  It has required every last bit of me, and then some.  At times it has been uncomfortable, inconvenient and overwhelming-, frustrating, depressing and insane.  Plenty of blood, sweat and tears, and oh so many prayers.  But there has been enough joy and happiness along the way to fuel me on.  Enough hope to keep the vision and vision to keep the hope. And most of all, enough love.

I cannot claim ability.  I cannot claim nature.  I can only claim desire-  to make motherhood my passion.

I carried this poem around with me as a missionary and it's words still ring through me as a mother-


The Will To Win
Author: Berton Braley
If you want a thing bad enough
To go out and fight for it,
Work day and night for it,
Give up your time and your peace and your sleep for it

If only desire of it
Makes you quite mad enough
Never to tire of it,
Makes you hold all other things tawdry
and cheap for it

If life seems all empty and useless without it
And all that you scheme and you dream is about it,

If gladly you'll sweat for it,
Fret for it, Plan for it,
Lose all your terror of God or man for it,

If you'll simply go after that thing that you want.
With all your capacity,
Strength and sagacity,
Faith, hope and confidence, stern pertinacity,

If neither cold poverty, famished and gaunt,
Nor sickness nor pain
Of body or brain
Can turn you away from the thing that you want,

If dogged and grim you besiege and beset it,
You'll get it!

5 comments:

garcias said...

I must admit that I have been reading your blog for over a year now. I am Sally's little sister and found your site through her blog role. I must tell you that I am grateful for your words. I have never been good and expressing my feelings with grace and beauty and it seems that you have expressed similar feelings that I have been having. You have inspired me so many times to search for inspiration through prayer, listen and follow. I have wanted to comment a long ago about the post that you erased about your decisions about wanting to be a vegetarian and didn't because of the answers to your prayers. I too have been struggling on finding the right nutrition for my family and there are sooo many different diets to choose from, and each good for various people. I found your post very inspiring and it was just perfect for me. Thank you.

plainoldsarah said...

you make some great points here. i wonder, though, if there are people (like this woman your friend told about) that lack even the desire. you know, they struggle to want to be mothers. i think it's inevitable that you love the child from your womb, but still not everyone desires to be a mother. like a lot of things i think you need to start with a seed of desire, but sometimes you even need to pray for that seed.

KarenB said...

Beautifully said! Motherhood did not come easy for me either. I remember waking up for the 3rd or 4th time in one night with a new baby and crying, thinking to myself, "no one ever told me it would be this hard!" I still struggle sometimes, but I've learned to treasure and love the many special moments so much! And now to help my children who are quarreling as I type...

Kitchen Recovery said...

I love this! I relate. Thanks for sharing.

Sally said...

I've been thinking about your post and had this thought: A 'natural' mom is not necessarily a good mom. A mom may love her role and desire nothing else, but if she doesn't put in some serious effort she may not do a good job. You know, like a 'natural' artist or musician who has all the potential but won't amount to very much without work and discipline. A woman who loves her kids but doesn't necessarily love her role at all times and yet works hard at it will go a lot farther.

Whether you are a natural or not I think you will go far as a mom!