.

.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Light, Bright and White - Love Story Pt. 12

Creighton and I were married on April 7, 2000.  I had always wanted to be married in May, when the spring palette bursts with color and the weather brushes against perfection.  But I didn't dare wait that long, and in retrospect, I wouldn't change that detail for anything.

On our day, the sky was clear and blue with a light yellow sun.  A brisk wind punctuated everything.  It never occurred to me to arrange to have my hair done that day, which was a good thing- it would've been a waste of money.  I didn't mind the wind.  It was refreshing- blowing out the heavy, gray air of winter and infusing the skies with the crisp, fresh breath of life.  And I inhaled it all.  I love that it was early spring.  The transition from death to life is so marked.  And spring flowers are my flowers-- they speak to me with their simple charm.  I can't help but get a rush of joy when the daffodils pop up each year and reveal their cheerful faces.  And the tulips- so striking against the backdrop of still faded greens.  Most of all, I love what spring flowers represent:  The hope of new beginnings. 



[The Corner Girls after the ceremony]  Look at those flowers!!

Creighton's parents hosted a beautiful wedding breakfast for us at the Huntsman Hotel in This is The Place Park.  What I remember most about that breakfast, besides the amazing food and being surrounded by so many we love, was the laughter. 





 At last the comic relief in our 12 act play! Creighton's Dad had written a poem for us called "Someone Keeps Flipping The Switch."  He read it aloud to everyone there:

IN OUR HOUSE IN THE HALL, THERE'S A SWITCH ON THE WALL;
LIKE A GOOD PRO AND CON, DOWN IS OFF, UP IS ON;
     IT'S A MATTER OF FLIPPING THE SWITCH.

NOW, HERE'S TRICIA AND CREIGHTON...LONG DATIN' AND WAITIN'
HE SAID, AS HE DROVE HER HERE, "TH' WAITIN' IS OVER."
     BUT WHAT IF SOME HAND'S ON THE SWITCH?

YOU SEE, JUST AS WE THOUGHT THAT THE COURTSHIP WAS HOT,
JUST THAT QUICKLY WE'RE FOOLED CAUSE THE DARN THING HAD COOLED
     AS IF SOMEONE HAD PLAYED WITH THE SWITCH

AND THEN, JUST AS WE'D SCOFF 'CAUSE THE ROMANCE WAS OFF,
AND CONFUSED AS TO WHEN, IT WAS ON ONCE AGAIN...
     I SWEAR THERE'S A GLITCH IN THE SWITCH

SO IT'S OFF AGAIN, ON AGAIN, NOW AND THEN, IF AND WHEN,
HERE AND THERE, EVERYWHERE, PERFECT PAIR; SAY A PRAYER...
     SOMEONE KEEPS FLIPPING THE SWITCH.

NOW THE NUPTIALS ARE ON AND THE JITTERS ARE GONE;
OR AT LEAST FOR THE MOMENT THAT'S WHAT THE NEW GLOW MEANT...
     AT LEAST, 'TIL A CHANGE IN THE SWITCH.

FOR, WE WEREN'T ALWAYS ABLE TO SIT AT THE TABLE
AND TELL AT A GLANCE THE TRUE STATE OF ROMANCE
     BECAUSE SOMEONE KEPT FLIPPING THE SWITCH.

AH!  BUT NOW YOU SHOULD KNOW (THEY INSIST IT IS SO)
THAT THEY'VE PLANNED AND THEY'VE STRIVEN; THE WEDDING'S A GIVEN;
     AND THEY'RE NOT CONCERNED WITH THE SWITCH.

BUT LET'S GET DOWN THERE FAST SO THE MOMENT WILL LAST;
LET'S NOT WALK; LET'S ALL RUN; AND UNTIL IT'S ALL DONE,
     LET'S HAVE SOMEONE STAND GUARD AT THE SWITCH.

IS IT OFF AGAIN, ON AGAIN, NOW AND THEN, IF AND WHEN,
HERE AND THERE, EVERYWHERE, PERFECT PAIR; SAY A PRAYER....
    SOMEONE KEEPS FLIPPING THE SWITCH?

NO, IT'S ON AGAIN, ON AGAIN, ON THROUGH THE GRAND AMEN;
PERFECT PAIR; WHAT A PRAYER....FAITH AND HOPE EVERYWHERE....
      
    LOVE HAS DISMANTLED THE SWITCH.


The laughter continued right into our ceremony.  We were married by Ned Winder, a sweet, wise and funny man who seemed to know that our marriage was cause for celebration, though we had not met him before.  So many of our family and friends remarked that it was 'the best sealing they'd ever attended.'  I didn't have much experience with sealings, but of course I couldn't agree more.  Amidst all the smiles and laughter, after we had been called up to the alter, Brother Winder looked at Creighton and I in seriousness, and in a voice inaudible to the rest of the room said:

"Thank you for being prepared to be here."

I looked at him, and in his eyes I could see that somehow, some way he knew--he understood the difficult road we had both traveled to get to this point. Creighton has a story of his own that began long before we ever met.  His journey was no less painful than mine.  And for me, despite all the embarrassment- all the humiliation of my doubts and fears and indecision over the years, I felt in that moment that God, too, understood  my struggles, my heart and my intention.  I had only ever wanted to be wise- to make the very best decision I could.  I had only ever wanted to be prepared-- for this day and for the rest of my life.  Of all the wisdom Brother Winder imparted that day, those words still mean the most to me.   


When I reflect on our wedding day, I think of light.  The light of the sun.  The light blue of the sky.  The lightness of the air.  The light inside of me.  It was such a radiantly happy day for both of us.  I have since had to laugh looking back on all of the wedding details I overlooked at the time.  Things that most people fuss and fret about, I was oblivious to in the planning.  The reception was an afterthought.  I did carefully choose the location- the Nauvoo Room of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building  It is such a beautiful, cheerful room, with huge picture windows framing the Salt Lake Temple.  And I did select the food- from a menu- which took me all of five minutes.  But much of the rest eluded me.  Except for the flowers.  I made sure that there were bunches of spring flowers all around- cheerful bouquets of daisy, daffodil and delphinium to smile right along with us.  And I loved our wedding cake!  My aunt had crafted and adorned it with tiny blue flowers and little white daisies, sugared and fresh. 

Our reception was supposed to be from 6 to 8pm.  We were still standing in the line at 10:30.  So many people from so many chapters of our lives.  I was overwhelmed with love (despite my aching feet.)  When at last the line thinned out and trickled, we broke away and Creighton pulled out his guitar and sang a song that he wrote for me.  And I got to sit and admire him from afar!  Bouquet and garter were tossed, then we hurried and cut the cake.  There were so many people still there- the tables full- standing room only.  We figured that must be what they were all waiting for!  A big hurrah and rounds of applause put the exclamation point on our day. 

All was so very right with our world.




It was nearly midnight by the time I changed out of my dress and met Creighton in the empty lobby.   All the guests had gone- a few family were gathering things to go.  There were no crowds to give us a grand farewell- we'd worn them out!  But it didn't matter.  There near the door, he handed me a little box- inside was a delicate gold chain with a small opal stone and one tiny diamond- it was shimmering and golden and white- like light.  His wedding gift to me. 

And with that, we left-- arm in arm, out the revolving doors and into our future.


6 comments:

The Blake's said...

Um, Wow. That was the best story I have read in awhile. You are such a talented writer with detail and passion. Thank you for sharing that story. Thanks also for the Christmas card, it was lovely.

Karla said...

What? That can't be the end!!! There's more for you to tell....I just know it!!! Such a wonderful piece of the story....about your wedding. Can't wait to hear more Mrs. Petrey!!! :)

Darla said...

I love what you said about seeking truth and light, Tricia. I see that in you. What good desires you have! Once again, thank you, thank you. I bet this has been a real treat for Creighton to read, as well. :)

Anonymous said...

A picture? A wedding picture?

Karen said...

Sigh...best story ever!! You are truly a great writer! Thanks for sharing your story!

P.S. I'd like to hear Creighton's version. =)

J9 said...

Thanks Trisha, I have loved every minute of the journey. It was fun when we shared our engagement stories in person, but I loved reading all the details so much more! I love you both and am so so glad that you ended up together!