.

.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Here's to Spontaneity

Boy, I'm on a roll. I still can't handle reading books at night once I finally sit down. My eyes burn too much (does that mean something?) But I can write. Of course, I always wake up the next morning thinking: "what in the world did I just say." Good thing it's my blog, and my musings are "Unofficial." That means I can always claim temporary insanity, or brain fog, or simply just change my mind about anything I say. Alright? Alright.

The beach was...well...everything you can imagine with a hurricane off the coast. It was all laughing and fun til everyone got soaking wet (10 minutes in). The wind was whipping so hard it was blowing sand up into the air, which then stuck to every wet body part. For some reason, the littlest ones didn't really like having sand stick to their eyeballs. Of course, it didn't help that it was just me with all the kids (long story). The lifeguard thought I was crazy. I am crazy. Luke was having a gay old time whooping it up in the waves, while I did my best to keep the twins from being washed away, and tried to talk some sense into a melting Miri (trying to talk sense into Miri accounts for at least 50% of my total verbal communication on any given day.) Sweet Abby just did her best to be happy and helpful. We lasted about 30 minutes. Victory! Spent the rest of the afternoon in the hotel pool.

The sun came out this evening, so we might give it another try tomorrow. Fortunately, we just came along with Creighton on a business trip at the last minute (Virginia Beach), so it's not like all our dreams and plans have been crushed by the weather- we had no dreams or plans for this one. It is what it is. Sometimes those are the best trips to go on. No expectations whatsoever. Except for the hotel experience. For some reason, no matter how miserable every other hotel stay has been with a passel of little ones, no matter how often we've sworn them off til the children reach puberty, we somehow manage to completely and utterly forget our fierce resolutions. We still always look forward to staying in a hotel. We get just as excited as the kids do. It only takes about 15 minutes- long enough for us to throw the bags on the floor and have everyone stake out their beds and squeal over the toiletries and the view, before things start to unravel. The bed jumping begins, chaos sets in, and Craig and I go into sensory overload. This is really not my idea of family fun- at least not the hotel part. I much prefer field trips close to home over extended vacations and hotel stays at this stage of life. When all is said and done, I think the kids do too.

But here's to Virginia Beach!

2 comments:

Karen said...

You are the woman - five kids on the beach in hurricane weather! =) Glad there was a hotel pool...

Sally said...

Grant spent our whole 7 years in Taiwan hoping and dreaming for a big typhoon to hit Chaiyi. Unfortunately Chaiyi is near the straight and the typhoons always prefer to go around the eastern side so he had to settle for little ones.