Or is it Luke? It's been a summer of transformation for Luke. All of a sudden I look at him and see a big boy. And not just in size. I find myself carrying on intellectual conversations with him. Letting him in on Mom and Dad's inside jokes. Explaining people and the world to him. And he gets it. Luke was baptized a couple of weeks ago. He was so excited. But also somewhat serious about this big event. At his baptism interview, the Bishop asked him if he had any questions. Luke hesitated for a few seconds, and then replied: "Well, I'm just a little concerned about Everlasting Life."
I love that he thinks BIG. Every day is filled with grand possibilities. As a baby, he could never nap longer than 10 minutes. I had the sense, even then, that he couldn't bear to miss out on anything. Nothing's changed. He is my latest to bed and earliest to rise. My Energizer Bunny. Several times a week, he will tell me how much he wishes he never had to sleep. There's so much he'd rather be doing. I'm right with you Luke! There are so many things I'd rather do with my time than sleep, too. Now, if only I could get myself up with the sun like you! Oh, the things I could do!
I was flipping through his school notebook yesterday and saw a fact sheet on himself that asked what he wants to be when he grows up. His response: A Miner. Hmm... we do live close to West Virginia, but hopefully we can re-direct his aspirations on that one. Actually, I'm sure he means a Gold Miner. He's convinced that it's still a viable occupation- you know- in the hills of California. Tonight, he showed me a sketch of the floor plan for his dream home. A substantial portion of the house was marked off and labeled: "Dollar Room." For all his money, he told me. [he had drawn in piles of gold coins]. I told you he thinks BIG.
Luke is a good boy. He just is. I can never get too upset with him, because on the whole, he's just so darn obedient and attentive. I'm starting to realize that some of that comes from his knowing how to work the adult system (good boys get the most goods, of course), but I believe it's also in his nature. Yesterday, I was in the kitchen and he called to me from the family room, in his pleasant, Beaver Cleaver voice: "Mom, I'm going to bounce off the walls now, okay?"
[!WHAT?!] Actually, that's what my real response was. But then I just had to laugh that he had kindly informed me beforehand!
Luke! You are larger than life. Your spirit is so big, I sometimes forget that inside of you is still my little boy. And sometimes, that little boy in you still just wants a Mommy. I am in awe at your love of life, your thirst for knowledge, your craving for adventure and your desire to tap into the utmost possibilities for you and the universe. I sometimes can't keep up with the constant flow of energy and intensity that oozes from your being, but you certainly keep things in motion in our home. I LOVE you, Luke! The moment you were born, I was overwhelmed with love, and that has not changed. It will never change. Love, for Me, is all wrapped up in You.
Happy 8th Birthday and Baptism!

4 comments:
Congratulations to Luke! And I think it is just Luke because if parents really have some influence on the behavior/personality of kids then I will have to feel guilty about my 8 (almost 9) year old who is a slacker and kind of a bully. :) But he's my slacker/bully and I love him, I'm just not sure what to do with him some days!
Very cool tribute to your son! When I taught 2nd and 3rd grade, it was nice to see a lot of maturity in the boys at that age. Mainly because it didn't happen very often! Congrats to him!
What a great post about Luke! He sounds like a great kid! And how nice of him to warn you about his intention to bounce off walls, too! =)
I love seeing your cute family, too! And your parents! Makes me think of homemade breadsticks and Ben Hur!!!
When he figures out "Everlasting Life" can you send him my way. I've sort of been wondering about it too.
You are such an amazing mom!!
Post a Comment