Creighton and I are celebrating our 10th Anniversary this week. My Mom flew out from Utah so we could get away for a few days-- she even came early and stayed longer just to offer a little extra relief! Thank you, thank you, thank you Mom!
We've talked about our 10th anniversary off and on since our 5th, tossing ideas back and forth about what sort of exotic adventure we could go on. But when it came down to it, we both realized we didn't need to go far to have a great time. So, we decided to go back to where we began- Washington, D.C.- and retrace the steps of our first date.
And we did! (Among other wildly exciting anniversary adventures throughout Virginia)
Creighton and I met in the notorious Colonial Ward in Alexandria, Virginia. He was ward-hopping and I was glowing across the gospel doctrine room (or so he says). At the time, I was working at the National Archives and he was a computer software re-seller, living in Maryland. It took me a long time to recognize him, so when he first asked me out, I accepted with a sigh (as I usually did back then). But halfway through our date, a little someone told me there was something different about this guy. Here's last week's photo re-cap of our first date, 15 years ago, on a perfect summer evening in D.C. :

I was working downtown, so we decided to meet here:

For a concert by the U.S. Army Navy Band on these steps:
We sat on the grass under these trees:
And talked.
Then we went to dinner here:

At this restaurant:

And sat at this table here:
And talked some more.
And more and more.

Til they nearly had to kick us out we were so lost in conversation.
Then we walked back to here:
Under the glow of street lamps
And sat again here. Under the stars:

And talked and talked and talked...and listened too.
And I should've known right then what took me five years to figure out:
That he is my very best friend in the whole wide world.
And so so much more.
10 years
9 homes
8 moves
7 cities
6 jobs
5 kids
4 states
...3 engagements...
2 fabulous friends
1 Crazy Happy Life
9 homes
8 moves
7 cities
6 jobs
5 kids
4 states
...3 engagements...
2 fabulous friends
1 Crazy Happy Life

8 comments:
Nope, you haven't changed, you still look great!
What a fun thing to do and what a fun and scenic first date! So glad you got some time together.
Nope, not a bit!
What a great way to spend your anniversary. Chuck proposed to me in DC and it was fun to go back to "the spot" while we were there last week.
Love the wedding day picture!! And just for the record, you're still glowing. =)
I love that you can re-trace every single step of your first date. And I so love the little countdown at the end. It's like your life was made for it! =)
Many congratulations. We had big plans for our 10th anniversary but then we all got really sick and I got prego finally. So, we're still hoping to do something for that anniversary. Any yes, you have changed a lot. You've grown much wiser.....
How fun! Chris and I actually did that for our 10th when we lived in Raleigh and couldn't get away. At first I was disappointed, but it was so much fun to retrace where we met and hung out at NC State, that by the end of the evening, I was so glad we ended up doing that! Your wedding gown is gorgeous, by the way! Oh, and were all 3 engagements to him or to other guys?
Yes, obviously we have more stories to tell. What is the 3 engagements? Must hear this one. :)
Oh my gosh, that is the cutest post ever! I am sooooooo glad you finally got to go somewhere together WITHOUT YOUR KIDS!!!
Happy Anniversary.
I still miss you. But I always tell you that, don't I?
Post a Comment