Over the past couple of years, I've started noticing all of the little miracles in my life- probably because I've never been so desperate for them! Living in survival mode will do that to you. Occasionally, at dinner time, I'll share with the kids what I sometimes call "Hellos from Heaven."
Some people call these "Tender Mercies," but I just can't do it. It makes me think of chicken tenders...
Instead, I'll say "I had a Hello from Heaven today!" And then tell them about some small coincidence or blessing or true miracle that occurred that day.
After doing this a few times, Luke and Abby caught on, and pretty soon, they would come to the table excited to share a little "Hello" they received during the day.
Just a little something that let them know God was there and aware of them. A smile. A nod. A wink. From Heaven.
Of course we don't do this often enough, so I had an idea....
What if- every evening, throughout the month of December, we make it a point to talk about all of the great things that happen- every single day. A coincidence. A blessing. A kindness. Even a miracle.
Of course, I can't completely take credit for this idea- (I believe that belongs to a certain apostle), but
several nights ago, we found an empty notebook and began our Christmas Journal. In the evening, after reading our advent scripture, and adding hay to our manger for good deeds and kind words done during the day (our gifts to Jesus), we open our notebook and everyone gets a chance to write down some happy thing that happened during the day (Jesus' gifts to us.) My children LOVE this! So do I! It's so much fun to talk about the ways Heavenly Father and Jesus bless us in seemingly small, everyday ways. And BIG ways too!
I am excited to see how it works for us this Christmas. And I'm already imagining this for every Christmas from now on.

No comments:
Post a Comment