.

.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Christmas Miracle!

I knew that title would draw you in.  Actually, this miracle occurred in October, not December, but it's still a  miracle--  at least a developmental miracle.  Are you ready??.....

My twins started playing together.

YES!  They did!!  Just when they stopped taking naps, and I thought I was doomed (because naptime is God's gift to Mothers).  All of a sudden.....really, out of the blue.....they crawled out of my lap and down from my arms, where one or both have spent the past two and a half years, and..... strolled away together- hand in hand. Of course they didn't go anywhere, they're still here, but they're romping around having the time of their lives with eachother!

It's amazing!  Not just having my arms free for a good chunk of the day, but seeing them enjoy each other so much.

At first I thought it was a fluke- a quickly passing thing.  And I ran around like a mad-woman tackling a list that has been growing in my head for years- unable to do anything about it.  That was October: Cleaning out dozens of storage bins (and the garage at the same time,) going through decades of paperwork- sorting, re-filing, TRASHING,  thinning out our school room shelves, hanging pictures that have been collecting dust on the floor for a year, implementing the rest of my organizational system at my desk (which is really to keep my brain organized).  Calculating inventory, re-stocking and re-organizing food storage, and half a dozen other BIG things that require mental focus and two arms.  Both of which I have lacked for a very long time.

And it feels good.

And then I went to Midway, and re-charged another part of me that was wrung out and limp.

And then came Thanksgiving.  For two weeks I prepared for, hosted, and recovered from 16 people staying in our home.  And it was lovely.  Except I'm not a good entertainer.  I'm just not.

And now, here I am this week.  And the twins are still playing together!!!  Mostly.  And only leaving a path of utter destruction every other day, instead of several times a day!  And I've realized that this is no passing thing.  The fog is lifting.  If you're ever expecting twins, you'll hear all about the fog.  "It lasts until they're about two," they all said. "Just be prepared for it.  Life will be one big foggy blur."  And so it has been- in many ways.  Until suddenly.....dissipation.


After tackling so many To Dos the past two months, and since recovering from Thanksgiving, I have had no desire to scurry about the past few days.  I'm taking this week for what it is:  A pause. Time to relax and let life simmer...before the next phase begins.  I know too well that's what happens.  I've seen it before in my life:  a brief time to restore, regroup, replenish, rejuvenate.  Time to prepare for what comes next.

I'm feeling especially thoughtful.  Too thoughtful to read. Instead I'm writing. When I can.  Until I can't.  Such as....right now--with two little girls crawling all over me!

It must be time for hugs.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Loved this post! I think you definitely deserve this Christmas miracle! =)

mom said...

I love watching my twins play together. You're right about the fog lifting and it's a beautiful thing. You stated it far better than I could, and have used your new-found freedom in a way that I still intend to . . . Hooray for almost 3! Now if only they would potty train each other.